Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Ive had my pc for about 8months when all of a sudden my video files have these weird coloured flickering lines on the screen, i updated my video card drivers but nothing happened. then yesterday i switched on my pc and the flickering started happening all the time! the blothes are really bad but when i refresh the internet page it disapears for a second but comes back, from viewing other peoples problems it could be coz of heating problems but dont know how to check the computers temperature, The pc was very dusty so cleaned it but no change (I just used a cloth) dont know if thats a practical way of cleaning a pc :) also i found out SP2 for XP causes lots of problems so im downloading SP1 to see if that helps.

But Im convinced its my video card, so im buying a new one to see if that helps

My Specs are

Pentium 4 3.60Ghz
2.00GB RAM
ATI Radeon 700 (buying x800)

ive also attached a pic of what i see on my pc

Thanks if u help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The kind of corruption you're seeing is usually caused by bad video RAM. It can occasionally be caused by gunk or dust lodged in the pins of the video RAM or the GPU (the main chip on the video card) but usually it's just video RAM which has gone bad. The best way to clean a video card is blowing air on it from one of those cans of compressed air (I'd love to know what the profit margin is on those things) but you can also blow on it yourself if you're careful not to spit on it. The one thing you can try is underclocking the video RAM using ATITool (instructions here). Sometimes slowing down the video RAM by underclocking can make the artifacts go away. I've seen a few people solve their problems without slowing the RAM clock down by that much. If slowing down the RAM works then you know for a fact it's a RAM problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I changed the clocking using ATITool but when i lowered it the monitor became very unstable and had to leave it unchanged, I then blew on the ATI Radeon Card, and that made no differance either, i have had this pc for at least 8 months and havent cleaned it once, so im convinced thats what the problem is and have ordered a new one, I have 2 questions

1.Will a new video card sort this mess out?
2.How regulary should you clean the inside of a pc?

Thanks for the advise m8, i have tried numerous forums with little help and your advise was very good and i really do aprreciate the help

Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
1.Will a new video card sort this mess out?
Well, nothing is 100% certain in troubleshooting but I've seen that kind of corruption many times and it has always turned out to be the video card. Replacing the video card should fix it.

2.How regulary should you clean the inside of a pc?
I blow the insides of mine out every few months mainly to keep the CPU nice and cool. The heatsink accumulates dust and that raises its temp. Those compressed air cans are the easiest way to do it. However, I wouldn't assume that dust is the cause of your problem. Most of the times I've seen bad video RAM, it has appeared to be caused by weak RAM chips which were in the process of dying. The problem is exacerbated by overheating or overclocking which makes them die much faster. The only other cases of bad video RAM I've seen happened when people changed GPU heatsinks and got some Arctic Silver heatsink grease on one of the chips. Getting that kind of heatsink goo on the pins can definitely cause problems. Usually dust doesn't do anything because it's rarely conductive or capacitive (both bad things on high speed wiring).

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Some PCs adjust the fan speed based on the temperature so they can get louder when hotter. But fans can also get louder over time because the bearings are getting older.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.