Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
For a while my keyboad has been doing this really weird stuff. hopefully you can read this, I bet you can guess which letter stopped working this time. I'll try to help you out a bit.

Okay, A month or so ago (some time- not sure- After using the recommended registry cleaner thing and installing the omega radeon drivers..., random letters on my keyboard (1 or 2 at a time) have been going temporarily dead or when i push the key it stands for a different symbol appears. A good bit of the time the keys that aren't ...functioning only change when i reboot, specifically when im using my computer a whole lot it seems. I got back from a week long trip today and my keyboard's freaking out, and the dead/bad keys have been changing every 2 minutes for the last 40 minutes.

Now, for counter-strike this can be funny- "Haha, I went to put my scope on and it brought out my nade and i killed myself" But for SC its very, very annoying. I don't even bother to tell them whats going on when i lose because the buow key went dead, etc... because who the hell would believe it unless I took 20 minutes to explain to them the whole thing?

Any ideas?

-Im on XP, have tried changing keyboards / removing the keyboad from the device manager in safe mode / ...can't think of the others. Sorry if this gave you a headache to read. It seems to be sticking with that letter for now.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Can you edit your post as you write it please, as most of it is not understandable like this and it'll end up being ignored.

Which browser are you using and do you get this same behavior if you open notepad and type in there?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I bet you can guess which lette stopped woking this time
Can you edit your post as you write it please, as most of it is not understandable like this and it'll end up being ignored

He can't edit it as the letter "R" is not working. That's the problem!

Can you "undo" the registry cleaner changes or rollback the radeon drivers you added?

·
Registered
273 Posts
My first assumption would be you have a virus. Run a virus scan.

And althought awkard, copy and paste a "R" and "r" from somewhere, so at least we can understand what you type until the problem is rooted out.

Have you tried using a different keyboard?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies, and thanks for editing my post for me, haha.

Hm, I have run several virus scans from different programs (all free, though) and also spyware scans. I've tried changing keyboards. I do not know how to rollback the changes I've made to the registry and have tried installing different drivers.

My guess would also be a virus or the registry change caused this, but i know next to nothing about this. It seems to freak out (change a lot) when I install windows' auto updates, but when it settles down, like 50% of the time when i reboot, the esc. key is dead.

Oh forgot- Yes the keys are malfunctioning for Notepad, every game I play, both firefox and IE, and basically everything I can think of.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I think the registry is messed up. If this is a retail xp version, you might be able to repair the registry, supposedly OEM installs can't be repaired. Check the reg cleaner and see if it backs up the registry before cleaning.

Try a system restore

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay y keyboar is really freakig out right ow I'll try to eit it later.

How restore Help please!!!!! This is really ba

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
System Restore: Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore>restore my computer to an earlier time (before you ran the reg cleaner)

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Your reg cleaner will most likely have a made a backup too, to just before you ran it. That would most likely be better as more of your recent settings/sofwtare will still be saved, if its an option here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried system restore to the longest I could go, but windows wouldn't start in anything but safemode., So I had to go into safemode and undo the restore.

I also tried opening the regcleaner up so i could look for a backup, and it just doesnt do anything. I see the process in taskmanager, but no window pops up and it isn't on the list of applications.

Hm... So you guys think it is the registry thats randomly dropping keys and swapping/changing values?

(PS- This problem seems to be intensified when I shutdown my computer fully, But the dead keys (escpecially the escape key) are only changed once when I reboot after having my omputer on a while. Could this have something to do with the fact that if I shutdown my computer or put it into sleepmode (basically just fully turn the power off) and try to start it up , I can hear the fan from what I think is my self-installed video card (radeon x700), and I have to swith -my 'c' just went out- the monitor cable off of the video card and into the old one that came with my computer (sony vaio RB30) to get a picture. The fan or whatever it is doesnt go off until I turn the computer off and wait anywhere from 2-40 minutes depending on how many times the computer has been started recently. If I remember corretly rebooting doesnt solve the problem.

Also while writing this- before the c and
the comma were dropped- I accidentally held the shift key down long enough to get a message.. I just cliked cancel in a hurry and noticed that the bakspace key started working but in doing so I also made it so that all the number keys displayed the symbols instead of the numbers. A couple seconds later, the numbers returned and the backspace key went dead.

I figured some of this information may be relevant and realize a lot of is probably isnt.

I'll edit this for you guys with highlight-rightclick-copy-paste, since I can't ctrl+c

Thanks a lot for your times guys, I know there are thing you'd rather do, and Im sorry I don't know more or I would try to return the favor. Hopefully you'll atleast enjoy solving this puzzle a little bit or learn something. I've already learned a few things thanks to your knowledge. By the way, anyone play starcraft competitively here? I'd be glad to play you or help you out if you wanna learn :D Thanks again.

Hey, my backspace key is back up again! And the C! Just in time for me to not need them anymore! Off to notepad to see what keys are screwed up now. My guess- the ESC key.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Do you have another Keyboard? If so give it a try to see if it is a hardware related problem. Have seen keyboards act strange after something was spilled on them even after they were dried out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.