Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running windows vista with Internet explorer 7 and Norton internet secutity 2009, I have turned off all firewalls and User account control (UAC) and windows defender and even shut off Norton, and i still cannot get a specific certificate for work to install and become functional. I have saved it to my trusted root certs and it shows in there but still wont give me access. After I install the certificate it does not show in the dialogue box that pops up when I go to the website. I have removed the certificate and reinstalled it and still the same problem. I have the exact same computer and it works fine on that one and I've set all the setting to match that computer and still no luck. The two computers are in the same location and connect to the same router. any tips or advice?
Thank you in advance!!

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,389 Posts
Hi. . .

The problem is probably due to Norton Internet Security 2009 (NIS). I'm surprised you haven't had any app crashes or BSODs.

Look around this Vista forum and you will see that NIS, KIS, McAfee, etc... are a leading cause of major system troubles.

Get rid of NIS - Use the Norton Removal Tool (NRT). Download it and SAVE it to your desktop.

Close all Windows, then RIGHT-click on the NRT icon and run as administrator. When complete - re-boot.

Now reset the Windows Firewall to its default settings -
START | type FirewallSettings.exe into the start search box | click on FirewallSettings.exe above | select the Advanced Tab | click on "Restore Defaults" | Click Apply (if hi-lighted) | Click OK

If you paid for NIS 2009, see if you can get Norton anti-virus (NO firewall). The a/v products are generally OK.

Please let me know how you make out.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick response Griff! I uninstalled NIS and restored to default and still no luck:( I have NIS on the other computer and it was no problem getting this certificate to work. Im begining to think it is a setting i have on the computer. The NIS came with the computers and I bought them at the same time. and havent changed any of the default programs or settings. Any other suggestions?
Thanks again!

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,389 Posts
Hi. . .

Sorry that didn't work. But removal of NIS good thing.

Did you try resetting IE7?
START | inetcpl.cpl | Advanced tab

Anything in Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) - Filtered/Admin log 1st

So the certificate works on the other computers, just not this one? Are all same version of Vista, x86 or x64?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.