Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I would really consider the choice of running your own server versus a hosting company. Maybe write a list of pros and cons or something. The reason why I say this, is because it is a lot of work to run your own server. You have to keep the connection up, keep the server up, keep it secure, update patches, and all that other fun stuff. If you don't like being called at 4 am in the morning because the server went down, I woulnd't suggest it. On the other hand, you have full control over the server, you can controll the hardware, the software and set things up how you prefer.

Me personaly? I went with a hosting company. I look at is cheaper for me, plus I can't always drop everything to run to the server when it is down.

As for two servers? You can run both off of one server, but I wouldn't recomend it. It will make it a lot easier for you to have it on two servers. This way you don't have to reboot your websever if you make changes to the file server and vice-versa.

As for the e-mail. You'll need a mail programing running on the websever. I'm not sure what is out there windows wise for mail server programs. I think my old work used I-Mail for their web based e-mail, but I don't know if it is just for web based mail or a complete mail package.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.