Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

About myself: I just graduated from college with MIS/Finance degree. Im not fully experienced in handling such a project described below, but I do feel that it is a great opportunity to gain some experience in the industry.

My friend is starting up his own business, and Im gonna help him set up all the networking, web servers, etc... I have a couple of questions I was wondering if you could help me out with before I get started.

- Do you think it would be better to set up a personal web server at the office, or to just use a web hosting company like "wazoo.com" to set up a website & email? I would like to try to set up a personal web server because it seems more challenging. I know I will have more control over the server & faster speeds.

- If I go with setting up a personal web server, I'll probably run Win 2000 server w/ Apache. Would I need two servers? One to run the web server (email & website) & one to run network drives for files (xls, docs, etc...)? Or is just one server sufficient to run both aspects of the two server? Because I was talking to a friend and he told two servers is the way to go, but I am also on a budget.

- Last question. After the website is running lets say at 'www.domain.com'. To set up the email accounts on the client computers would all I have to do is set up POP3 & SMTP on let's say Outlook for all the clients? Or do I need special software on the Server to allow me to do this?

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it,

Olimits7

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I would really consider the choice of running your own server versus a hosting company. Maybe write a list of pros and cons or something. The reason why I say this, is because it is a lot of work to run your own server. You have to keep the connection up, keep the server up, keep it secure, update patches, and all that other fun stuff. If you don't like being called at 4 am in the morning because the server went down, I woulnd't suggest it. On the other hand, you have full control over the server, you can controll the hardware, the software and set things up how you prefer.

Me personaly? I went with a hosting company. I look at is cheaper for me, plus I can't always drop everything to run to the server when it is down.

As for two servers? You can run both off of one server, but I wouldn't recomend it. It will make it a lot easier for you to have it on two servers. This way you don't have to reboot your websever if you make changes to the file server and vice-versa.

As for the e-mail. You'll need a mail programing running on the websever. I'm not sure what is out there windows wise for mail server programs. I think my old work used I-Mail for their web based e-mail, but I don't know if it is just for web based mail or a complete mail package.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.