Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont really know much about getting one going, but I want to experiment and try hosting my own site. I have a box built right now for use as a server but im not quite sure what I need to do to get things working so it will be ready for serving. I currently have XP Professional installed. Should I use a different OS and can I even use XP for web serving? I know there are some additional services I need to install, maybe just IIS, but again, im not quite sure. Right now I only plan to have an HTML site but sometime in the future I will want to have PHP, CGI, MYSQL ... but im not worrying about that right now.

This isnt going to be serious right now, I just want to learn how to do it. If anyone could give me some pointers as to which OS I should use and what services I need to install it would be greatly appreciated. I tried Google but everthing I got was about buying web hosting : \

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
For web-hosting I would recommend Linux as the OS .. RH7.3 or better,

You can install Apache, Mysql and PHP right during the install and everything in configured using just a couple setup files.

·
Registered
69 Posts
if you use windows, then try downloading foxserv (http://www.foxserv.net) or phptriad (http://www.phpgeek.com)...they both install apache/php4/mysql preconfigured to run together, but foxserv also installs perl and python (ive never used it thats just what their website claims).

phptriad works great, im running my webserver on apache/php4/mysql running on a win98 box and it all works just fine (i dont expect thousands of hits a day or anything)...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I belive I will give foxserv a try when I get things set up. As of now my Linux skills are well below par but I hope to get myself back on it and learn it well enough to put it into use.

Thx guys :winkgrin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I personally recommend using Widows2000 Server/IIS 5. After the install make sure that you udate to SP (don't go to SP3 just yet) and install the security patches also. This will make a very stable web/ftp server with little to no maintenance..as long as you set it up right from the start.

Hope that helps....

NetEngineer......

www.wsbconsulting.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.