Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I got a nice shiny tablet not to long ago, it is a school laptop and we are not allowed to store music, games etc onto it. But a web-server would allow me to use these files without actually having them stored onto the computer. Also I would be able to access them anywhere with an internet connection, right?

It is part of a my school's network so I cannot make it part of my network and share files from my desktop. I am sort of a noob at networking ,although I know my way around computers quite well, just take heed and understand I am new to this.

So I was wondering what is involved in creating a web-server or a web-site for say. I understand apache but I am clueless on how to get the thing online.

I greatly appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
Okay, I got a nice shiny tablet not to long ago, it is a school laptop and we are not allowed to store music, games etc onto it. But a web-server would allow me to use these files without actually having them stored onto the computer. Also I would be able to access them anywhere with an internet connection, right?

It is part of a my school's network so I cannot make it part of my network and share files from my desktop. I am sort of a noob at networking ,although I know my way around computers quite well, just take heed and understand I am new to this.
not going to help you bypass your school security but for music and such to play from online storage, generally speaking it gotta download to your computer in one form or another thus violating your schools policy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not the security I'm trying to get past, it's the fact that you will have to pay a fine for having music. They only check your computer once a year but they use realVNC during school. I want to use a web-server for at my house or anywhere outside of school.

My goal isn't to do something else during school and not pay attention. Also we are allowed to use a flash drive while outside of school but I do not feel like paying for one when I have a wireless network and several computers on a network already. Plus I wanted to create a web-server anyways.

Please ignore the fact it is a school computer and aid me in setting up a web-server.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Even if your school uses a VNC viewer to watch you on the laptops, they can still view the proxy log which lists every URL gone through the internet connection.

If you dont already know, many hosting companies have policies that dont allow you to upload any music files to their servers as it takes huge amounts of space and also its ILLEGAL. You are either best keeping your files off the school laptop and listening them at home, or paying a small amount for a flash drive.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Ask your school's IT dept to help you set it up. If they say it's ok then fine, but we can't help you bypass your school's security or usage policies. Thread closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.