Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

OK heres the situation, 2 PCs in one household, both running windows 7, one has an O2 (rebranded Speedtouch)Wireless router and the other uses this wireless internet connection

Everything has been fine up until the last few days, but since then every 5-10 minutes internet pages stop loading- ie, they wont lod at all, and after about 20 seconds, I get the 'this page cant be displayed' error message.

It happens in FF and IE, and on both computers sharing the network connection. The weird thing is the router lights are on, and and the internet is connected on both machines. To futher show this, an example is if playing an online game it wont drop out, its literally just the browsers that have the issue displaying web pages.

When it happens, it happens to both computers at the same time, and when it is randomly resolved (which required just waiting for a few minutes), it is ok on both PCs.

I have disabled all antivirus, all firewalls, reset the router, and restored my systems to last week, and still the problem remains.

So Im trying to determine the following:

a) whats the problem?
b) which PC is the problem (im guessing the host PC connected to the router?)
c) How to fix the problem?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,320 Posts
Sounds like the DNS service is the issue. Is the O2 router connected directly to the phone line? There is no "host" machine, as far as the router is concerned, they're all equal.

I'd start by doing the standard router fixes.

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi
thanks for your response
i have completed each step but the problem remains.

if it helps, the issue seems to occur mainly (but not 100% exclusively) when both computers are on and being used.

Any further help would be appreciated- keeping in mind its not the internet thats dropping out, its just web pages that dont display on either PC.

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this is virus Problem! try to block some ports, those used by windows worm door cleaner.
Use a portblocker, and then after this use any antimalware for scanning!

This was happening to me and thats what I did.
Truly it didnt succeed me, but for some days it did, until I formatted my PC. Now works perfectly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.