Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my computer losing my internet connection when using software to browse or download. The only way I seem to get it back is if I reboot the computer. Here's what's the info:

I have a dsl modem, Linksys wireless router, XP as the OS, and AVG as my security. My computer is connected with an ethernet cable and not using the wireless part of the router.

If I log on and start surfing or dowloading through any web browser or even itunes, after 10 minutes to 1 hour, suddenly no pages can be found and whatever program I am running, like Itunes, will say there's no internet connection. Restarting the router or modem does not help. Logging in as a different user doesn't help either.

However, if I then get on another computer, like a laptop, and access the wireless router I can download and surf with no problem. So, I'm thinking it has something to do with the computer I'm on.

I have tried to plug the dsl modem right into the computer and the same thing happens. If I then run cmd and ping, I am able to get and receive packets. I am unable to get into the modem or route when this problem happens. If I try and access either of their IPs throught a browse, it won't work. I also disabled the firewall from AVG and still no dice.

Anyone have any idea's what could be causing this? Thanks!

-Ashes

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,019 Posts
Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if it exhibits the same issue. We need to narrow it down to either basic Windows functions or something running on the computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if it exhibits the same issue. We need to narrow it down to either basic Windows functions or something running on the computer.
Good idea, thanks. I'll try it when I get home tonight. Hopefully it'll work fine in safe mode. I'd rather have something running that kills it rather than a basic function.

-Ashes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking. Same problem. This time after the connection was lost, I went and selected the local connection and hit repair. It tried to renew the IP, but was unable to do so. Anyone have any more insight? Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.