Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I bought a new computer on august 29th 2003... since then the hard drive has had to be replaced 3 times (and I am fearing that it will have to be replaced again) its a WD Raptor 36.7 gb SATA drive... but it will work for a while, then it will just gradually fail until it doesn't work at all... what could be causing this... the odds of three bad drives in a row don't seem very good so what else could be causing these errors? It seems that bad sectors get written to the drive, then eventually the drive has too many bad sectors to even run the diagnostic test provided by western digital... luckaly the comp is under warranty so none of these have costed anything to replace, however, I can't really save important data becasue I fear that the drive will have to be replaced so its pointless... the drive will click from time to time, wind down and then wind up again. what software related problems could cause this? everything in the computer has been replaced at least once. and the company is the worst company in the world to deal with. and they keep telling me its a software problem... so what could be causing this?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Those Raptors aren't supposed to be that frail. WD actually provides a five year warranty on those, so they're designed to last a long time.

The drives do run very hot. Do you have adequate cooling in your case?

Another possibility could be a bad power supply that's somehow damaging the drives. I've had a hard drive develop bad sectors when my dying power supply failed to provide it with adequate power. Check your SATA power cables, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mental_Myopia said:
Those Raptors aren't supposed to be that frail. WD actually provides a five year warranty on those, so they're designed to last a long time.

The drives do run very hot. Do you have adequate cooling in your case?

Another possibility could be a bad power supply that's somehow damaging the drives. I've had a hard drive develop bad sectors when my dying power supply failed to provide it with adequate power. Check your SATA power cables, too.
what software could cause this? (failing of drives)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think there is any software that coudl cause this. Even something that had excessive hard drive calls should work fine.

On another note, I sent back an SATA 120GB to WD. It was making some odd lcicking sounds, even while accessing data on the drive (which sounded totally different.) We'll see what happens with the new one when it arrives...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.