Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be the wrong thread for this problem but maybe an admin will move it to the proper place if deemed necessary. I built a new computer using the a8n-sli motherboard and two new WD Raptor 74G sata drives but I am not using them in a raid configuration. This was my first experience with SATA and I did not load the NVidia drivers when prompted in the XP setup. Everything seemed to be ok for a couple of weeks and I started getting Event ID 51 warnings in the event viewer and getting occasional freezeups and reboots. This is the warning: Disk Warning
"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation" Following the link to Microsoft help I get the following:

An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation. An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried. If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device.

I ran the WD DataLifeguard tool and everything comes back fine.

I have run system file checker, changed the paging file size, moved it to a different disk, run without the paging file. I tried to restore an image with Acronis TrueImage 8 and that fails. Acronis can not find any mass storage devices.
I tried a format reinstall of XP using the floppy to load the sata drivers but near the end of the install I got an error message saying the file idecoi.dll could not be found so through trial and error I found the file on the AI cd and the install went smoothly after that. After getting SP2 and all the other Windows updates and going through several reboots I crossed my fingers and checked the EventViewer and CRAP!! The disk errors are back. Anybody got any ideas??

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I have an idea bit its a bitter pill to swallow !!

wipe the drive clean with a drive eraser
http://dban.sourceforge.net/ >>>> download floppy version

then "clean" install the OS again / make sure this time when loading windows press F6 and install the correct sata drivers / then after the first boot up install the mobo chipset drivers

I would also strongly suggest you save your self a ton of misery and slipstream (add or intergrate) SP-2 onto a burnable cd so when you install the win xp OS you also get SP-2 at the SAME time !!! there are alot of fixes for sata drives in SP-2

also before you do any of this upgrade your bios to the most recent revision / use the DOS based bios utility (check you mobo model download section @ mobo website to see if there is a newer version of the DOS based bios utility yet)

here is the website for the slipstream program (pay attention to the screenshots >> easy prog to use)

here is the link you need for SP-2 (you need multiple computer or often called network version so you can download sp-2 into a folder >>> if you choose windows update then the sp-2 gets directly intergrated into the wiondows system and you wont have the sp-2 files to use for the slipstream prog !!
scroll down web page until your see "get the service pack" then download the first option "multiple computers"

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

print this out / there is alot to digest !!!!

dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

note here is the link explaing the concept and the "why for's" of slipstreaming
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

but the above slipstreaming prog is MUCH easier to use as long as you have a CD burner and a burning program / like Roxio cd-creator or Nero

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Linderman:

Thx for the suggestions. I slipstreamed XP and SP2 and started the new install (this must be the 8-10th time) and tried to load the sata drivers at the "S" prompt. Installation could not copy the "idecoi.dll" file so I reloaded a fresh floppy with the sata drivers and started again. This time everything went smoothly. After loading the chipset drivers (I left out the Nvidia ide drivers this time since I'm not trying to raid the drives) everything appeared to be fine. Did the critical updates from Microsoft and still good. I installed my MP390 multifunction printer and wham! Disk errors are back. I "think" the card reader included in the printer is causing the disk warnings. Why in the world they would be identified as Device\harddisk0/paging file errors is beyond me. I disabled the card reader disk and so far, so good. Looks like I had multiple problems complicating things. Thx again for the time and effort you spent trying to help me. Without folks like you in these forums a lot of us would be lost! Now that I have buttered you up, I won't fell so bad if/when I have to come back and ask for more help if the warnings return. That slipstreaming is cool stuff!

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I'd also suggest runing MemTest86 on there. Judging from that nature of the error I think memory problems may be at fault here as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I have run Mem86 a couple of times and the ram seems fine as well as running datalifeguard again. The errors are back. Having visited so many help threads reading about this problem is very discouraging. Seems to be hundreds of people posting about the same problems, all involving sata drives and disk warnings. It doesn't seem to be hard drive brand or motherboard specific. I'm guessing it is SP2 related or a hotfix that is causing false warnings. There are probably thousands more that have the warnings that have never checked the event viewer. So far I have'nt lost any data, just a lot of time. Anybody have any other ideas, I'll be willing to give it a shot. Thx again for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.