Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

So in my office I have a lot of pc's that have usb 1.0 instead of usb 2.0. So I brought my WD Mybook so I can copy some big files and when I came back home I had the unnacesible error. Drive letter can be seen but it can't be accessed.

Now this happened a long time ago and at the time I didn't know that USB1.0 caused the problem because it worked prefectly in the office and I hooked it up days later at home. That time the information wasn't that important and I had backups of some important stuff.

Now a week ago it happened again and I figured it's because it was hooked up USB 1.0. I had LOTS of valuable information so I tried getting it with several recovery programs, safe mode, etc. but nothing seems to work. Recovery programs can see some of the folder structure and extract a few files, but mostly small .doc files.

I tried using safely remove hardware but you know it says it's used by a program. So naturally I wait for it to stop working and pull the plug, when I hook it up on a pc next time it dies. Could it be that it can't handle USB1.0?
Is this a common issue? Because if so I really need to get another External HD.

**SMRDcompany**

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Are both machines using the same OS? There are a lot of variables when moving between systems. I can't see it being USB version diffs, and haven't seen a disk that can't handle USB 1. We have seen a lot of similar issues when disks are moved between XP and Vista systems, and I'm not sure why. I know in the recovery lab we have one Vista machine, the rest are XP - and quite often when we attach a disk to the Vista box we get a dialog that ther is a problem do you want Vista to correct it. We always pick no :)
Anyway to recovery - what programs have you tried? r-studio is generally my goto app.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First time it was XP32 - XP32, second time XP32-XP64. Yes I have been using XP to Vista without programs. I have reformatted the drive and have written all 0's (8pass is just too long) to it. I used DT utilities recovery program. Not much luck though :/

**SMRDcompany**

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Did you write zeros before trying recovery? If you did, it's game over after the overwrite, everything goes to zeros. 1 pass of zeros is more than sufficient, no matter what you might read elsewhere. We have played with it with forensic tools, and high end recovery hardware - i the data is gone with one pass.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after I tried recovery. I'm not stupid ya know :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure I'll do that, but ya know the files are well gone now :D As ussual, the WDlife utility thingy reports bad spin-up time on external hd's. :D here are some pics:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know for 2.5inch, but it has an AC adapter and can't run without it, although it powers up only when connected to the PC. It's an MyBook Essential Edition hard drive, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Essential-External-WDH1U3200N/dp/B000XRMAOE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I couldn't find info on harware size though :/ It could be 2,5 or 3,5 I dunno..

Well if it doesn't have enough current should that be a problem? Because when it does spin up it rotates until I plug it of so a difference in 1 or 5 sedconds doesn't matter to me :)

**SMRDcompany**
**SMRDcompany**

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
If it has it's own power should not be an issue - as far as the problem with spin up time, just like a computer, a drive has it's own boot up sequence when it starts. The heads are locked until the platter comes up to it's rotational speed, until the heads can move to read the service area code, the drive is waiting - it the heads do not read the SA code before the startup sequence times out, the drive will not init properly, depending on the drive it may power down some just never come ready - but the full startup sequence has to happen before the drive is capable of reading.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, but sometimes the hard-drive turns off when it's idling for too long and it takes a couple of seconds for it to be acessible. I can there hear a crancking noise in the external HD. Must be that the platters stopped spinnin' and when i try to acces it it first spins it up then reads data. ;) might be that it spins up slower than it should, but it doesn't turn off often, maybe 3-4 hours without working on it. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.