Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have the end of your audio cable slip off into your sound card? If you have not... and you have an old audio line get a new one... it happens more than you would think.

Well if it does break off I have a few suggestions from my personal experience that you may find useful.

I initially tried to pull it out using thread pins and needles and such which was no help at all. Eventually when I tried to develop a hook to get it out... the actual pin turned and jammed itself in the port sideways!!! So I do not suggest using a hook... unless you are just really good at it.

The best idea I have ever heard but never tried was using a pin and a small dot of super glue to stick in carefully and pull it out after it dries a little. Be very careful to get the pin and not something else unless you want a needle super glued to your sound card.

In my case where the pin had turned I developed a very dangerous way to get it out. Since I would have to buy a new card anyway I decided to instead drill a hole through the plastic case surrounding the pin on the opposite side. Little did I know this plastic was very slippery and no matter how sharp a drill I used it would not cut... so I developed a new way to get inside... take that same very small drill and hold it with some twezers as you heat it up over a stove... wait a few seconds and it will melt right through that stupid plastic cover. Then I just drilled the pin in two and it fell out once it was broken. GO ME!

um if you are really clumsy you can seriously damage the port, mine still worked but I was really careful (well as careful as you can be drilling out an audio pin in the back side of your sound card :)

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I know, not supposed to laugh about something like this, but I did. I am so glad that you shared your experience, because most of us who do tech work have been in that situation (not your exact situation) so many times it is not funny. Well, at least until it is over and fixed or destroyed. Anyway, I wanted to compliment you for your initiative and sharing with us. I won't forget that one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.