Tech Support banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Bought a laptop for christmas a couple weeks ago and have been saving it for today. So far in the last 3 hours it has crashed 3 times. Heres the rundown, specs at bottom.

First time booted it up downloaded mozilla. Then downloaded steam, then epic. After logging in to steam the whole pc shuts off itself after the fans became extremely loud.

Booted it up again, this time simply logged in to epic and the same thing happened.

After that I tried downloading memtest and real temp. Temp hovering at 40 up to 60 while running memtest although it hit 80 at one point when I was running a 9000 test. No errors with the memory. So I went onto Firefox again to have a look for a cpu testing app and boom, crashes to black. This time it didn't shut off but instead went black with the fan running loud even though it was only at 50 before it crashed. Had to turn it off myself.

So where do I go from here? What should I test? Any help is massively appreciated. Merry Christmas.

Specs;

Intel I7 9750H
16GB RAM
NVIDIA 1650
1tb hard drive
(Not sure what else is needed if you want any more specs ask)

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
Before doing anything to void the warranty, I'd try notifying the seller or whoever the warranty is with. Tell them when you put it in service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just ordered a cooling mat to see if that helps. If not I will have to I think. Is it running at too high an idle temp?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
No matter what, get the problem on record before the warranty runs out. Cooling pads shouldn't be needed since technically a laptop isn't a laptop. Used in that manner they overheat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should never need to instantly purchase an additional cooling pad for a brand new laptop. If that is the case then the laptop needs to go back immediately under warranty plain and simple - it is a dud, faulty a lemon or a refurb that you were not informed it was.

·
Premium Member
41,311 Posts
If you bought a Used laptop from an independent party, not an online or brick and mortar store, then there probably is no warranty. If it is Brand New, as stated, take it back, you should not have to do anything to a new computer. If you bought someone else's used laptop, the first thing you should do is wipe the computer and do a Clean Install of Windows 10. A cooling pad will help, but if you continue to have heating issues, then you may need to disassemble it and clean it out, make sure all fans are spinning unobstructed and reapply Thermal Gel between the Heat Sync and Processor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should return the laptop where ever you got it from because you should not have to do anything to a machine you just got and should not have the type of problems you are describing immediately. If you bought someone's used laptop describe the problems you are experiencing to them and tell them that they should have disclosed all the problems they were having with the unit to you before you purchased it and tell them you want your money back. Be nice at first to give them the opportunity to be decent and do the right thing up front if they refuse then you can stand up for yourself and give them a tough time and let them know they cannot get away with ripping you off. If this is someone you know do not be afraid to play dirty and start bad mouthing them around to everyone you mutually know to push them into giving you your money back to get out from under their bad faith dump job.

·
Premium Member
41,311 Posts
A cooling pad only costs a few dollars, it is a great Band Aid and will work but doesn't solve the root of the problem of overheating, but it will make the computer operable until you fix it. But it's better if you return it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No matter what, get the problem on record before the warranty runs out. Cooling pads shouldn't be needed since technically a laptop isn't a laptop. Used in that manner they overheat.
I totally agree..Return it.. refurbished doesn't mean
you should have to repair or work on it..👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you bought a Used laptop from an independent party, not an online or brick and mortar store, then there probably is no warranty. If it is Brand New, as stated, take it back, you should not have to do anything to a new computer. If you bought someone else's used laptop, the first thing you should do is wipe the computer and do a Clean Install of Windows 10. A cooling pad will help, but if you continue to have heating issues, then you may need to disassemble it and clean it out, make sure all fans are spinning unobstructed and reapply Thermal Gel between the Heat Sync and Processor.
What horrible advice!

·
Registered
58 Posts
thats only your opinion. it is sound advice.
I agree that it is horrible advice because no one should have to do anything to a unit they just purchased especially so much work as the person described and what they described is completely dismantling a laptop! When you buy a computer you should never have to do anything to it it should work straight out of the box! That should be regardless of whether it is secondhand or brand new! I can understand if it is secondhand and just simply wiping an operating system and going with a fresh install but from a hardware standpoint you should never ever have to do anything to a unit regardless of whether it is brand new or secondhand if you have to do anything to a unit regardless of whether it is secondhand or brand new then that unit must go back to where it came from because it is faulty. If it is secondhand and it is having hardware issues especially with overheating than that unit is a dud unit that is a kin to a secondhand car that somebody was sold with the story that a little old grandmother drove it only on Sundays to church! If it is having overheating problems then it will have other problems down the road and that is not an IF that is a guarantee!

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you bought as a "refurb" or "recert" from a retailer, RETURN IT provided you are still within the return window. If you let the return window go by, you will be always be fighting the same issues it was probably returned for the first time. It's shutting down when it should not. Could be a number of reasons related to heat (my first guess is the cooler not attached correctly or lack of thermal compound), but if do something like crack it open to check for cooling system problems, you will be voiding a warranty.

If it is not returnable, do the warranty thing. But if at all possible, get your money back and regroup. Look for something NEW in after-holiday sales. I suggest a 500GB SSD HDD, 8-12GB RAM, i5 or Rysen5 processor (or better) and a USB-C port.

As for cooling mats.... totally and absolutely useless unless you are using the mat to protect furniture. Of course you do not want to block the intake with a conforming surface like a bedspread, table placemat, a pillow, or your legs, but on a flat surface, the feet on a laptop create adequate space to allow air intake. The fan can only pull so much air into the system and no mat or contraptions with extra fans will cause that to change. Physics and thermodynamics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi there. Bought a laptop for christmas a couple weeks ago and have been saving it for today. So far in the last 3 hours it has crashed 3 times. Heres the rundown, specs at bottom.

First time booted it up downloaded

First time booted it up downloaded mozilla. Then downloaded steam, then epic. After logging in to steam the whole pc shuts off itself after the fans became extremely loud.

Booted it up again, this time simply logged in to epic and the same thing happened.

After that I tried downloading memtest and real temp. Temp hovering at 40 up to 60 while running memtest although it hit 80 at one point when I was running a 9000 test. No errors with the memory. So I went onto Firefox again to have a look for a cpu testing app and boom, crashes to black. This time it didn't shut off but instead went black with the fan running loud even though it was only at 50 before it crashed. Had to turn it off myself.

So where do I go from here? What should I test? Any help is massively appreciated. Merry Christmas.

Specs;

Intel I7 9750H
16GB RAM
NVIDIA 1650
1tb hard drive
. Then downloaded steam, then epic. After logging in to steam the whole pc shuts off itself after the fans became extremely loud.

Specs;

Intel I7 9750H
16GB RAM
NVIDIA 1650
1tb hard drive
Ignoring the temp problem, I started having crash problems with Mozilla/Firefox about 3 weeks ago. As an experiment, remove Mozilla as default and try Chrome to see what happens.

Note: I still use Firefox but am considering a change if this continues.

·
Moderator Hardware Team
13,540 Posts
I agree that it is horrible advice because no one should have to do anything to a unit they just purchased especially so much work as the person described and what they described is completely dismantling a laptop! When you buy a computer you should never have to do anything to it it should work straight out of the box! That should be regardless of whether it is secondhand or brand new! I can understand if it is secondhand and just simply wiping an operating system and going with a fresh install but from a hardware standpoint you should never ever have to do anything to a unit regardless of whether it is brand new or secondhand if you have to do anything to a unit regardless of whether it is secondhand or brand new then that unit must go back to where it came from because it is faulty. If it is secondhand and it is having hardware issues especially with overheating than that unit is a dud unit that is a kin to a secondhand car that somebody was sold with the story that a little old grandmother drove it only on Sundays to church! If it is having overheating problems then it will have other problems down the road and that is not an IF that is a guarantee!
If you actually read spunks reply he said if bought used. But he never said if bought new or used. Your just reading between the lines. OP has not been back to the thread. We all know should of returned it when problem started.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Specs;

Intel I7 9750H
16GB RAM
NVIDIA 1650
1tb hard drive
Long story short: If there’s any way to return or exchange that laptop, do so. With 25 years in the computer repair business, I can assure you that you do not have only a heat problem. Working with it for hours and days trying to get it to hobble along and work for you is an exercise in futility. I’m surprised nobody else here mentioned it but overheating is normally handled by throttling, not by crashes and bizarre shutdowns. I have a 1 year old HP that hit 80C on me just yesterday. I had inadvertently sat it on the bed (blocking air flow, of course) meaning to pick it right back up and put it in its case but I had a huge 30GB file compression (read: 7-Zip) job going that would take a few minutes to complete so I left it to go do something else. Point is this: the only indication I had that it was getting seriously hot? The compression job was taking much longer than usual. So I immediately suspected throttling and checked and the usual 3.8 GHz was throttled to 1.3 GHz. Back in the day, overheating meant an immediate shutdown but that was 30 years ago. Temps are handled much, much more intelligently now. Bottom line is that in my opinion, you have either a bad CPU (but that’s very rare) or a bad motherboard component. But what difference does that make in the end? Are you going to install a new CPU or motherboard? No. It’s a bum laptop. Return it if you can, my friend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thats only your opinion. it is sound advice.
An Opinion based on 30 years experience as a Director of IT. Not doing busy work to pad a bill. Advising someone to start doing shotgun work on an unfamiliar electronic device is just reckless. We haven't heard back because he's probably setting at his dining table wondering where the extra screws and unknown part go. Excellent advice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts