Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed 2 OS, Windows 7 and and Linux CentOS distro on my machine. Recently I am having some hardware failure detection with my Hard disk. So I decided to replace it by new with the warranty. Before to do that I should uninstall Linux otherwise the warranty may not be valid because the firm install was Windows 7 OS. I have installed Linux on my own interest. So I need to get the details how to uninstall Centos 5 and its Grub

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team |Tech
2,256 Posts
Having Linux installed on a hard drive will not void the warranty, Are you sending the drive back to the manufacturer? If you are I would copy any important files from the drive, then use dban to wipe the drive clean.

DBAN Download | Darik's Boot And Nuke

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree. I don't think that having Linux installed on an HDD would void the warranty, unless it's clearly stated in the warranty in question. But I've never head of such a practice and think it's rather improbable.

If you need to wipe the Linux partition clean, dban, as advised by alpenadiver would do. To remove Grub you will have to rebuild the MBR so it points to the Win 7 boot loader and not Grub.

Follow this link How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows to have the MBR recreated.

Anyway I think that if you're returning the drive to have it replaced, just wipe it all clean. It's hard to believe that the seller would actually require the system to be installed on it. This will be the simplest solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.