Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per instruction on the link below, I have modified registry to increase page file size.

I have put each 5,000 MB so page file size should be around 15 GB according to me. But when I look at "performance" tab, it shows limit only 3765392 so around 3766 MB.

I checked under settings >> Performance Options of Advance computer properties, there it shows Total Paging Size 2046 MB. But when I click change, there it contains custom size of 5,000 MB.

So finally I just want to know if my paging file size have really increased to 15 GB or it's just 2046 MB as it shown there.

- How to overcome the 4,095 MB paging file size limit in Windows

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I sorted this out myself. After I restarted computer, I could see the new page files created but the total was only 9000 MB though I put each (total 3 page files) 5,000 MB in registry.

·
Registered
40,869 Posts

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
It is hard to imagine why you would need a pagefile bigger than that provided by the System Managed setting on a 32 bit OS. This could be the case on a heavily used server but it is very unlikely on a workstation. On a 64 bit OS the limit on pagefile size becomes 8 TB, probably larger than your disk. Normally the only reason to increase the initial size of the pagefile is if the commit charge is approaching the commit limit minus a generous safety factor. Otherwise you are simply wasting disk space for no gain.

Note that having multiple pagefiles is not recommended unless they are on separate physical disks - not partitions. Generally this is unnecessary and a waste of disk space.

Nothing in Task Manager will actually show pagefile size although you can make a rough estimate from the commit limit. The pagefile size would be somewhat larger than the commit limit minus total RAM size as reported in Task Manager. The best way is simply to look at the size of pagefile.sys as reported in Windows Explorer.

Note that the Internet contains a vast amount of misinformation regarding the pagefile.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@spunk.funk
I followed the instruction but I put 5000 5000 instead of 3000 4000 as mentioned in the page. However, still page memory was showing as 9 GB only. I don't know why it was so.

@LMiller7

My commit charge was approaching the commit limit and the computer was about to freeze so I wanted to increase the page file size. I was under belief that increasing file size would make the computer faster. However, as soon as I realized it was not helping much to be faster, I have upgraded with 2 GB more physical RAM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.