Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we installed a Antivirus on a W2000 computer (another computer in the home net had the MS Blast Worm), after the AV instalation and reboot, the AV asked us if we wanted xx file to open at start, we answered "NO" to about 5 files and after this we had lots of problems trying to open some programs (most)....

My brother (owner) unistalled the AV but the problem is still there... when you try to open WinExp or many other you get a msj saying "this program needs an association program, go to Control Panel>FileOptions...... We've done this but could'nt figure it out......

I'm sure we messed some register entries and both of us are newbies and don't want to deepen the problem..... this computer is used as a Graphic Workstation and has a lot of work on it, we can acces any file we want so recovery is not the problem.....

Need advice Urgent!!!

Regards

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
What is Winexp? Windows Explorer? Could you be more specific like the exact error message you receive. Is it only when you try to run .exe files?

Go to run and type regedit

Do you get the same error message.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply idtent; yes, indeed the program is Windows Explorer...... this a small but significant example of the messup extent !!!!!! Very few programs can run from the Desk, Start Menu and from their own .exe file

I thought running Regedit>HEX_KEY-LOCAL MACHINE but I need some advice before..... I've done very few editing before (erasing virus leftovers)...... The first thing I tried was to see the winini file but no luck openning it.....

Most programs run from a associated file, but there is a lot to burn & is impossible to run Nero assosiated to a file.........

In ordinary circunstances I could get local help but I'm in Spain & there is hardly people working in summer; my brother has lots of work on the computer...... as is, he can do some work.

Thanks again..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply idtent; yes, indeed the program is Windows Explorer...... this a small but significant example of the messup extent !!!!!! Very few programs can run from the Desk, Start Menu and from their own .exe file

I thought running Regedit>HEX_KEY-LOCAL MACHINE but I need some advice before..... I've done very few editing before (erasing virus leftovers)...... The first thing I tried was to see the winini file but no luck openning it.....

Most programs run from a associated file, but there is a lot to burn & is impossible to run Nero assosiated to a file.........

In ordinary circunstances I could get local help but I'm in Spain & there is hardly people working in summer; my brother has lots of work on the computer...... as is, he can do some work.

Thanks again..

·
1,038 Posts
Sorry I have been doing home repairs. Let me know if you can run regedit first.

Goto start --> run --> type "regedit" (without quotes)
Click ok.

If this runs let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!!!!!!.

Today I tried yo open REGEDIT........... did not run..... I got the Program List to open it instead....., I tried wordpad and notepad but got a bunch of machine language...... no luck!!!!

I also tried to open in safe mode to see if could open ..., Safe Mode started after a long while but the same result oppening REGEDIT and otherb programs; today I talked to a hardware supplier (just bought him a DVD writer), he does some programing and service to company's, he told me to save, move files etc... & format !!!, takes a lot of imagination to say it!, the easy way......

I see things look worse....... the AV people (Solo AV) wrote giving me a tool to try.. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Regards........

·
1,038 Posts
Sounds like you have no exe capabilities.

Get this text into a text file somehow and name it exefix.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]
"Extended"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

Double click this file and see if it fixes the EXE file problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi idtent:

Your file worked allright !!!!, first try: erasing the first, second and last line in workpad........, saved as .reg file > double click and........... everything restored, no restart need etc......, just a perfect patch for this problem...!!!

We are in eternal debt to you..........
Thank you very much!!!!

Best Regards: Luisa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.