Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Compaq Armada PIII 700 mhz, 128 Mram. currently running 98se, and "designed for Windows 2k proffesional or 98 se"

First question-Upgrade or clean install?

I've never really had any luck with upgrades running right, but then again, I've also never been given a computer that I did not have or wasn't sure of where to get the software from. With all of my PC's, I've built them, so I know exactly what is in them, and either have all of the software, or can get it easily.

I'm trying to go thru the UPGRADE process, and it gets to the compatibility portion and tells me that my NIC may or may not work, and that I need to check the MS HCL to determine whether or not it will work. So, I do so, and there are 135 intel pro 100+ nic's on the list. How do I know which is which? I went to the HP site and downloaded all of the necessary drivers, at least I thought I did, but when I let it try to find the appropriate inf file in the folder I unzipped the drivre package into, it doesn't find it. What should I do? I am thinking that I will go on with the upgrade, and take it as it comes, but I don't want to get stuck with a laptop I can't hook up to the server at work.

·
Registered
344 Posts
hellraiser357 said:
Compaq Armada PIII 700 mhz, 128 Mram. currently running 98se, and "designed for Windows 2k proffesional or 98 se"

First question-Upgrade or clean install?

I've never really had any luck with upgrades running right, but then again, I've also never been given a computer that I did not have or wasn't sure of where to get the software from. With all of my PC's, I've built them, so I know exactly what is in them, and either have all of the software, or can get it easily.

I'm trying to go thru the UPGRADE process, and it gets to the compatibility portion and tells me that my NIC may or may not work, and that I need to check the MS HCL to determine whether or not it will work. So, I do so, and there are 135 intel pro 100+ nic's on the list. How do I know which is which? I went to the HP site and downloaded all of the necessary drivers, at least I thought I did, but when I let it try to find the appropriate inf file in the folder I unzipped the drivre package into, it doesn't find it. What should I do? I am thinking that I will go on with the upgrade, and take it as it comes, but I don't want to get stuck with a laptop I can't hook up to the server at work.
Don't be scared. Do the upgrade. :grin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i did the upgrade, and so far everything is working fine except for networking. I can use my PC to see the laptop, and get on and mess with it, but the laptop does not see the PC. Any ideas?

Maybe this should be posted in networking instead????

·
retired
1,966 Posts
right click the inf file and select INSTALL.

you can also use Everest (link below) to identify the hardware.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
hellraiser357 said:
well, i did the upgrade, and so far everything is working fine except for networking. I can use my PC to see the laptop, and get on and mess with it, but the laptop does not see the PC. Any ideas?

Maybe this should be posted in networking instead????
Have you Mapped the network drive? Go to control Panel, tools. mapnetworkdrive. in the window there will be two boxes top one has the drive letter (Select a Letter that does not conflict with your laptop I use I:)in the lower block you put in the address of the pc Example \\home\C$ this sould make the pc drive available. To find the PC's name go to conrtol panel,system, network identificatin, properties. In the upper box will be the PC's network name.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.