Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this in Wondows Server ... as well, but it could be a Networking issue, so any assistance here would be appreciated

I am attempting to set up VPN connectivity to a Windows small business server. The connection is through an ADSL gateway.

I can connect the VPN from the internet by routing port 1723 connections (VPN) directly to the server. Once the VPN connection is made however, I cannot connect to the workgroup/domain. I assume the problem is due to the VPN connection being made to the server, as opposed to the hub/gateway and therefore the entire network.

I can connect to the windows remote-web-workplace and essentially take control of the server remotely, but this is a complicated work-around, Ideally I would like to connect to the shared folders within the server as I would if I were browsing from a LAN connection.

Any Ideas people?

·
Registered
40 Posts
VPN to small business server

Hi

Has the PC been connected to the domain prior to setting up the VPN?

This can help alleviate issues with slow connections.

The other thing to try is to alter your hosts file (C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc) and add an entry for the servername / IP address.

The PC may not be able to resolve the hostname.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done as you suggest, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I could already find and connect to the server, but I can't access the network or the shared folders. I thought of maybe adding a mapped network drive, which I can access over the VPN, but it wont accept the folder I want to map as a valid location. I am using ip_addres/E

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.