Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with a accessing a small office network using VPN with XP. The office

has 3 desktops and 2 laptops configured the same way:

*Windows XP Pro
*set up in a workgroup
*all users have identical usernames and passwords on all the computers (this has beenconfirmed)
*guest account activated
*linksys cable router- configured the WAN with a static IP address
*RCA cable modem with a static IP address
*VPN configured on one of the computers- this computer is acting as a server (I know this is not technically a server, but is being used for centralized storage and app server). This computer has a static IP address While within the office, all computers can access all other computers on the lan- including applications and files on the computer acting as the server.

The laptops are all set up to connect to the office network via the VPN from outside the office. There is no trouble actually connecting to the network (the server is also acting as the VPN server), but the laptop can not access any of the shares or see any of the resources on the network. When attempting to access a shared drive, the following error message is given:

"\\server\share is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found"

All permissions are set up correctly, as all users who need access to the shares and the computer have full control permissions on the shares.

Also, when attempting to access an application on the server via the VPN, the following error message is given:

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut reilly.lnk refers to is unavailable. Make sure the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again."

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I've been racking my brain for 3 weeks trying to figure out the problem.

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
You may want to try to either set the server ip to dynamic, or run the nnetwork setup wiard on the server and then share your folders. I have had similar networking problems in xp and this has sometimes worked for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok- I tried configuring the server for dynamic ip addressing and sharing the folders using the network config wizard and still have the same problem. Any other suggestions???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.