Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

Ive been trying to troubleshoot down a very odd VPN issue I have been having. I finally figured out part of it, but the performance is still fairly pathetic.

What the issue was - the current, and only available ISP, is a wireless based ISP. Internet speeds were benchmarking aroun 400 down, 30-50k up! Awful. Thats at the main office, where the servers live. I upped thier service to 1024 down, 384 up - in theory. Need to benchmark that.

Pulling a 4 meg file across that link to a remote location with outstanding connectivity was taking 15 minutes! Now, its down to 8 or 9. Still horrendous - but better. I think some piece of equipment is getting choked.

The VPN routers are snapgear 530s. Not cheap, they should run better than this. The encryption I set back to pretty basic. Its an IPsec tunnel, 128k enc... I forget which type. Pings range from just under 100ms when under load, to almost 3 seconds when a file is being transferred.

In my opinion - this thing should be hauling alot faster. Its pretty much unuseable. Curious if my numbers sound right, or if I need to trash the snapgear and get a real VPN, like a sonicwall.

The local networks are 100mb lans, nothing fancy.

Thanks for any and all opinions! And if I havent provided some info that would help - just ask.

Eric

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Sounds like you are saturating your link during the file downloads causing your ping latency to climb up to 3 seconds.

You should perform a tracert and find the IP address of the first hop outside your home network and the IP address of the first hop outside the ISP's network. Open 2 seperate DOS windows and start an extended ping (ping xyz -t) during a file download to the first hops and see if for some reason the hop outside of the ISP is taking longer than your first network hop. This will help determine where a bottle neck might be.

You need to also do a Speed Test to confirm your link performance and then you can determine if there are other issues. It is also possible that your ISP is oversubscribing capacity on the wireless portion or on their backbone to a their Tier 1 provider? Its possible that your have errors on your wireless portion on the link and these errors will kill your network pefromance and increase download times.

Try as Speed Test and pick a server geographically close to you:

Speed Test link

Report back your results.

JamesO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.