Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-hey guys i setup a VPN server but i cant connect to here is what i did.

- i install a win03 in one of our computers.
- once it was installed i setup its domain, AD, DCHP and the IP address and DNS address given by our isp.
- everything works well, and this computer can access the internet.
- next i create a user account in the AD.
- then i followed the instructions from microsoft support on how to setup a VPN and so far no problems
- then i hooked a separate computer to the linksys router of our neighbor which is using a different isp.
- then again i followed the instructions from microsoft support on how to create a VPN connection.
- once finished i tried to connect, i enter the correct username, password and domain...then it says connecting then verifying username and password....
- then an error appeared saying "request time out"
- then i tried to ping the ip address of the VPN server and it says the same error.
- the problem now is that the VPN server can ping any ip address but the VPN server itself cant be ping by anyone.
- i try to follow the troubleshooting tip from microsoft... i enabled the remote access... i enabled the ports for WAN access but still no connection

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Do you have a firewall on either end you are trying to connect from? Did you setup an IPSec or PPTP VPN? I have seen many reason for this error. AVG will block access if you have that running on your machine. Also if your neighbor has his router setup to assing your machine a private IP instead of a public one, this could interfer with a PPTP connection. Lastly check and make sure your ports are open. Here is a good website to check them.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a firewall on either end you are trying to connect from?
- nop the VPN server that i setup is directly connected to our DSL and is configured with IP and DNS address given by our ISP. and the computer that i used to connect to the VPN server is connected to the linksys broadband router of our neighbor which is using a different ISP.

Did you setup an IPSec or PPTP VPN?
- nop i didnt setup any of these...where should i setup any of these...and how?

AVG will block access if you have that running on your machine
- i have a AVG free edition installed on the computer that i used to connect to the VPN server that i configured. how do i verify if AVG is causing the problem?

Also if your neighbor has his router setup to assing your machine a private IP instead of a public one, this could interfer with a PPTP connection.
-well yes the broadband router of our neighbor assigned to us a private ip address. how can this have an effect?

Lastly check and make sure your ports are open.
-which one should i checked for open ports the VPN server of the computer i used to connect?

- pls help me with my problem...:pray:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.