Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The indestructible car is perhaps beginning to fall apart.

Overdrive works on engine warm-up to temperature. It is an electro-hydraulic type. I call it a fifth gear. It fails to work after a run of 14 miles on a highway, a bout of around town driving and a stop half-way home. At which point it won't engage.

Haynes (manual) only tells of un-install, replace and re-install. I guess I am hoping it maybe electrical. :rolleyes: I can clean terminals is about all. I have done the easier of them - at the shift head.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ben.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much Appreciated Mullet Man.

Mullet Man said:
Try doing a transmission flush. Make sure you use the proper fluid for that Volvo.
You could also change the trans filter.
Apologies for delay. I had almost given up hope!

Those changes you mentioned haven't been done at least since I've owned it. Thats six years. Good thinking. I will post back when the effect is known.

Thanks, MM. :sayyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Following Up.

Hello Mullet Man,

Before I had a chance to change the tranny oil (a manual one - the tranny) the problem ceased to be. The only change here is the onset of colder weather. A mystery - to me. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
new button!

Hello! I had a somewhat similar problem and that has an easy electrical solution. My problem turned out to be a crazy switch. But where do you get a new switch for a 1981 volvo overdrive? Radioshack! Buy the small square "Momentary switch". You can buy some 16 gague wire, splices, and teensie male ends from radioshack too and redo all the wiring in the shifter knob, which is often the source of multiple problems because: since its a momentary switch, any connection between the wires will switch it in and out of overdrive, and things get corroded and gross after a while and get bad at connecting. Anyway, pop the shifter knob off, use a key (or if you want to be fancy, a screwdriver) to pop the plate thing off the top of the knob and take the old button out. Replace with new button (it fits perfectly). Replace the old male ends that the button fits into unless they look fine (mine looked terrible) and reattach the male ends to the inside of the knob. This can be tricky, so it might be easier to splice on some extra wire to do this while the knob is off, then stuff it down when you put the knob back on.

The other thing it could possible be is the soleniod, which you can find under "j-type" because it was also used for Jaguiers on ebay. That looks harder to replace.. luckily i didnt have to.

Don't give up! I'm sure your car is still indestructable. All this advice is based on you having a push-button overdrive, so if its an auto, i might have wasted my time..
Good luck!
-Erin
AIM: ern0brn

The indestructible car is perhaps beginning to fall apart.

Overdrive works on engine warm-up to temperature. It is an electro-hydraulic type. I call it a fifth gear. It fails to work after a run of 14 miles on a highway, a bout of around town driving and a stop half-way home. At which point it won't engage.

Haynes (manual) only tells of un-install, replace and re-install. I guess I am hoping it maybe electrical. :rolleyes: I can clean terminals is about all. I have done the easier of them - at the shift head.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ben.[/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.