Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've spent a good 2 hours searching and trying things without any success. I really appreciate your help!

My computer's 4 years old now and it's been having some problems. Very recently, it stopped booting altogether.

When I turn it on, the blue screen that says "volume is dirty" pops up and starts scanning everything (both my C and F partitioned drives are dirty according to that).

However, once it is finished scanning, it resets, and then goes back to scanning everything. It's a continuous loop!

I have the Windows XP startup CD, and have tried doing what Zazula (post #2) suggested: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/cant-start-xp-continuous-chkdsk-loop-105569.html

I've already tried booting in Safe mode as well as the previous functioning configuration. When I boot in safe mode, a bunch of characters show up in black/white and then it just freezes there. When I boot in the last functioning configuration it just reboots and starts scanning the dirty files over and over again.

Thus, I can't get to the command prompt window because the OS won't load... at least I don't know how.

Please help! Thank you so much.

-M

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hello Mark, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

By the sound of it your HDD is about to take a hike.

Go to the HDD's manufacturer's website and download their 'Diagnostic Tool' and run it on this 'crook' HDD...if it says that is "dirty"; then, you need to "Slave" it in another computer to retrieve your data, and replace the HDD.

Post back with your thoughts.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Dave!

How can I figure out who the manufacturer of my HDD is? I can't load the OS and find out..

Can you point me to a good source (or let me know how) to figure out how to crook/enslave computers?

Sorry, I'm pretty new to this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Welcome to TSF....

No the hard drive is not taking a dump....

Do this:

CHKDSK running every time he starts his computer

http://www.pctipsbox.com/checkdisk-runs-on-every-startup/

Click on the Start menu and open the run dialog.
2. Type "cmd" and return (without quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query <letter of drive that chkdsk keeps checking>" (for example, C:
4. If the returned message indicates that the volume is dirty, go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk <drive letter> /f /x"
If you get this below answer YES.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>
6. After that finishes, repeat step 3.
7. If the volume is no longer dirty, reboot and chkdsk should not reappear.

The "fsutil dirty query" reports the current state of the flag.
"Chkdsk /f" forces Chkdsk to run whether or not the flag is dirty--- it's a way to ensure that errors are fixed, regardless of what the flag says.
"Chkdsk /x" goes a little further and helps ensure that any files that were left open get closed; it actually implies "/f" so you don't need the /f if you're using /x .
With either /f or /x, at the end of the run, Chkdsk should set the flag to clean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response, ThorXP.

However, I can't get to the Start menu because my OS won't load. When I turn it on, it just keeps checking my dirty volumes, restarts, and checks it again without letting me get to the welcome / select user screen. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Try it is safe mode....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried booting in Safe mode as well as the previous functioning configuration. When I boot in safe mode, a bunch of characters show up in black/white and then it just freezes there. When I boot in the last functioning configuration it just reboots and starts scanning the dirty files over and over again...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Chauffeur2,

I tried the test, which I guess Dell calls the Disk Self Test (DST). Here are my results:

IDE Hard Drive Diagnmostics running, please wait...
Primary SATA
Drive 0: WDC WD1600JD-75HBBO - Fail. Return Code: 7
Secondary SATA
Drive 0: No device
Primary IDE
Drive 0: No device
Drive 1: No device
Secondary IDE
Drive 0: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E - Diagnostics not supported
Drive 1: HL-DT-ST GCE-8483B - Diagnostics not supported

Test complete, Press <ENTER> to reboot

So I guess I need to do the slave thing that you mentioned. How do I do this? I thought that this would be easy to fine online, but I haven't been able to find anything helpful for Windows XP Home.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
655 Posts
get another pc, or another hard drive, set it to master and your damaged one to slave..there should be setting on the back of the drive..where to place jumpers if its IDE.

i think sata works itself out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a laptop that I can use as the master. But how do I set it up as a master and the other as a slave? I can't find good directions online anywhere.. thanks!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Here is a special adapter that allows you to use the laptop drive on a desktop or anyother computer to access it and manually back up all of the important data to that computer then you can use that computer to burn a DVD to save the data. Then you can return it to the laptop and do a recovery back to day one and start all over again....

USB2.0 to SATA and EIDE ATA Bridge Adapter / Converter Cable for Sata and IDE Hard Drives

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cab...P&cats=170&catid=170,161,2345,140,177,141,142

A second one:

Vantec USB 2.0 to SATA (Serial ATA)/IDE Adapter
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2477926&CatId=470

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is this also known as setting up a slave? is there any free method of setting up a slave to transfer my data from the dead hard drive to my laptop?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
The hard drive is not dead atleast not now. The only other way I know of is to get a live disk from Kubuntu and burn the ISO file to a DVD and use it to access the drive.

ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/nv/ao2/lxmirror/releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/hardy

click on the following to start the download:

kubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso

You have to burn this ISO file to a DVD before running and booting from it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.