Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I rebooted my computer today and my display was screwy and I had no mouse... I fixed the display by using the keyboard to reinstall my video drivers, but I can't get my mouse working.

I go into the Hardware Profile and then properties for the mouse and it says that windows 98 could not load the file vmouse.vxd that loads the drivers for this device. It also said that I should re run windows setup to fix it. I couldn't run it straight from the cd so I used a boot disk and started Win setup and reinstalled Windows. When it was finished nothing had changed.

Any help here is greatly appreciated guys, thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Have you tried looking in device manager to see if it's in there.

Take a look and see if it's plugged in good the wind may have wiggled it loose........................:winkgrin:

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
As speedo suggested take a look to see it the mouse is loose if it is not pull to mouse out of its port and make sure there are no pins bent or broke off. If you move your computers location alot the pin bending can take place fairly easily... (personal experience) If the mouse is snug and not pins bent I would replace the mouse and see if that corrects the issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, I tried 3 different mice and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the mice my windows was being freaky, so I made sure that I had access to everything I wanted on my computer and I formatted last night and sure enough, right when I was done and it was all working fine... we lost power..hehe so I finished installing all of my drivers and stuff this morning.
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi PSIco

Did you ever fix the problem you are having with your mouse. I'm having exactly the same problem. :rolleyes:

Its driving me nuts :upset:

Alice ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ended up formatting my hard drive and re-installing Windows because I was having so many other problems as well.

Sorry :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vmouse.vxd Fix

If anyone is still having problems with their mouse because of vmouse.vxd not being able to load, here is a quick fix.

You have to extract the vmouse.vxd driver to both the c:\windows\system and c:\windows\system\vmm32 directories.

The file can be extracted from either cab 47 or 48, if you are running Windows 98, and fro either cab 53 or 54, if you are running Windows 98SE. you can find these cab files eithere on the Win98 Install disk or in the directory c:\windows\options\cabs.

I hope that this helps. Send me an email @ [email protected] if you have trouble and I'll try my best to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is not your mouse file you have a corrupt ini file
go to start menu /run and type system.ini and you
will get a notepad pop up the first couple of lines will be rubbish
delete these lines save the file and restart your machine
this also takes care of the bllue screens of death.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, Thanks so much

I registered just to thank you guys for finding a way around this. Thanks soooo much ^_^ I had tried reinstalling Windows without the format just to see that it didn't fix the problem. That pretty much floored me lol. Anyway thanks. I never would have guessed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for this

ME Laptop driving me nuts and I was not allowed to wipe hard drive because user had no backups of anything. Thanks again for the post, saved my sanity!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.