Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a hp Pavillion dm1050 laptop and have Dual booted with Windows 7 and Fedora 14. This problem occurs when I am using Windows 7.

I have noticed that whenever I say a video in Vlc Player or in YouTube and then without pausing load a web page or browse the Internet, the video starts stuttering or becoming choppy. Sometimes it gets so worse that I hear a ggrr.. ggrr.. Sound and only after the web page finishes loading the video playback becomes normal. I am not able to understand why should this happen ? Does this mean that the system is lagging? But how can the simple actions of browsing the web causes a OS to lag?? I have 2 GB RAM, and I am not running any high RAM process like a game or something like that, just browsing the web. so the situation of lag in the OS is something I can't understand.

Does it mean I have to reinstall Windows? Is there a better alternative than this??

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,716 Posts
The sound you describe is most likely the HDD performing read/write operations, I'm all too familiar with that sound because I do a lot of zero-writing drives, but the noise is often not that loud unless you listen really close and hard. That noise getting more noticeable is reason to worry because your HDD may be failing. I have multi-tasked on systems with half the specs of that laptop without such an issue and for your case it would really take lots of loaded tabs to stretch system resources to such extents, so I strongly believe it's the HDD, either's its failing or is under unusually heavy load.

Try playing video from external storage media, say an external HDD or thumb drive and see if this occurs. Also try playing using Windows Media player or any other player you have installed and see if that happens with them too.

Take a look at Resource Monitor and see if anything else except the open browser and VLC is doing lots of read/write operations on the drive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I booted the system in Fedora 14, and went to Applications -> System Tools -> Disk Utility and checked the condition of the disk. It says that the disk is healthy, Then I ran a SMART disk self check ( which genreally takes a couple of hours) , it returned with this result

Disk ok , no problems detected. I am attaching a screenshot of this for your reference.

and I dont hear this Grr.. Grr. sound anytime when I am in Fedora 14, and I hear it each and every time Windows startsup and you come to the Windows 7 login screen and the familiar tune plays, it plays and then Grr... Grr.. before the tune is complete.

Many times on Windows the system just hangs, and I am forced to turn off the computer by force by pressing the power button. After restarting in Windows, the standard nonsensical dialogue box comes

An unexpected shutdown occurred, Windows will notify you if a solution is available. Nothing happens.

And today was the worst, it hung, then crashed and on came a blue screen of death, "If this is the first time you have seen this problem.. some hardware or software problem etc etc.."

So now I am at a loss to understand what s going on, how come one OS is fine whereas the other one struggles ? Actually, even my version of Fedora is outdated, i get the notifications in Chrome that it has stopped supporting this version of Fedora.

And I always seem to have low disk space on my C drive of Windows inspite of performing regular Disk Cleanup in Windows, it shows only 1GB free everytime , I had partitioned it into 50 GB for each OS system files and program files and the remaining ones for my data, so that if the OS crashes I can recover the data.

Now, I dont know what is the best way out? Do I need to take a backup of my data? Is my Hard Disk Failing? or is Windows 7 crashing? Do I need to forcibly upgrade to Windows 8?

that would involve getting used to a whole new smartphone type interface, which in my opinion sucks for a desktop.

Any helps/ suggestions to save my Windows please?. I use it only for gaming. and now find myself in this horrible condition. !! I had purchased a new game, and now cant use it all. So any help in this matter would be would be highly appreciated !!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.