Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to burn 3 of my own personal private recordings (NOT somthing from a professional recording) into a blank cd. The burner copies the first recording and part of the second one and then quits copying. I have tried 4 different blank cd's and it always quits recording after approximately 1 minute has elapsed. It can't be the fault of the cd, since the same result happens on each one of them. How can I resolve this problem? For anyone who answers my cry for help - THANKS!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The burner is a part of Windows Media Player from Microsoft Corporation Version 11.0.6001.7004

The media type is AUDIO with a Bit rate of 96 kbps. Each stereo file name has .WMA on the end. My computer is an HP m8100n AMD 64 LIVE.

Hope I gave enough information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS for the advice. Not sure if this is a hardware problem, a software problem, or both. My analytical thinking leads me to believe that I should try a different burner software application to see if it fixes this huge mess. As for the length of the recordings, all 3 music pieces put together are only 2 minutes and 21 seconds long. I managed to eventually burn 2 songs on one blank cd and burn 1 song on another blank cd. They could be played on my computer, but would not play on 2 cd players owned by friends of mine. Earlier (before this emergency began), I was able to burn a CD and get it to play on my friends CD players. My blank CD claims (on the label) that it can accept up to 80 minutes of music (so why won't it take more data?). I will try your software fix solution and let you know how it turns out. THANKS AGAIN.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
This is how it goes usually with trouble shooting. If the hardware is failing there's not much you do but swap parts or try different software.

80 minutes of music for a CD depends on the quality of the music itself. If a 3 minute song is rated at 320kb/s = 5 mb or so. I think it may be up converting music to a higher quality on the CD tryiing to stretch it out. FLAC format songs are lossless format so a 3 minute can be around 20mb or more. I'm not sure how burning a song to a CD works but I think CD players will recognize songs only at different physical parts of the CD, not sure

If you believe different, please correct me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dear Friends:

What a difference a day makes. Today, I took time to think, and thus solved my own dilemna. Yesterday, I was trying to burn a blank CD using my own memory. But when a new day came, I chose to be wiser. I went to the Windows help section, and asked it for complete directions on the proper way to burn using this Vista Windows Media Player burner. Either I was adding a step, or missing a step in how I was programming the computer. Needless to say, the software and the hardware did their job exactly as they were supposed to. All 3 songs recorded onto the CD with NO trouble to be found. Not only that, but I found new and exciting ways to reach those control buttons. Thanks for all your help and encouragement. As for this particular topic... CASE CLOSED - A HAPPY ENDING HAS BEEN REACHED. Goodbye for now.

NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU READ MY COMMENT JUST BELOW, AS IT GIVES AN INDEPTH EXPLANATION THAT MAY HELP YOU IN THE FUTURE.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
PS: The reason I believe my CD burning was not working very well yesterday may have to do with what is explained in the instructions. Here is a small written section that totally explains the "WHY" part of the question...

For audio CDs, the Player typically calculates how many minutes and seconds of empty space remain on the disc after each song is added to the burn list. However, occassionally the Player may not be able to detect the duration of songs in advance, which means it may not be able to accurately calculate how many songs can fit on a CD. If this occurs, playing the songs on the burn list first may help the Player to determine the correct duration of the songs.

Please note: I decided to play the songs before trying to burn them, and that may have made the difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm curious here, so I'm wondering if you can answer this?
Do you have to play the songs in the their entirety or just a quick 10 second play through?
Microsoft needs to fix this problem with their Media Player Burner Software. If say for instance you have 79 minutes worth of sound, it seems insane to be forced to play the entire recorded session in order for the program to figure out how many minutes are actually on the burn list. My guess is they are asking you to play through the whole recording in order for the software to work when it gets confused.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good idea Mc, they could be corrupt.
I'm not sure what you mean by the word "CORRUPT". Are you referring to the Microsoft Media Player Burner software? Since the Microsoft documentation itself admits that the program sometimes gets confused when it comes to counting the number of minutes placed on the burn list, it is highly improbable that the program is not the same as when it was first installed.

WHO IS THEY? I've always wanted to meet THEY but could never find them. Hope to hear from you soon, WINDY.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
I think Undocked Windy was referring to they as WMP, seems an odd way to reference a program?

Is this fine playing the whole playlist? I wouldn't stand for it at all and would find a better program.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.