Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a perfectly configured PC running Home Premium like a dream for the last eight months. THis evening I decided to free up some space and install Ubuntu in a separate partiion, a process which aborted itself, completely screwing up my Vista installation into the bargain. No problem, I thought, it's a pain but I'll just have to reinstall Vista and all my apps. Fat chance.

The installation routine gives up at the disk partioning screen with the message that "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation". I've tried running chkdsk from an XP disk on it, but that just informs me that "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems" It can't be a hardware problem as everything was working perfectly until I tried to install Ubuntu, but I have absolutely no idea what to do about it.

Any and all advice gratefully received

SteveS

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
hmm, okay well the problem is vista is there and the other partition isn't empty so the installation disk can't find any empty partition/space.

As for fixing the actual problem(i'm assuming it's a missing bootloader/corrupt bootloader):
- You could try using BootIt NG (The trial version can be downloaded online[google] or go and buy it) to delete the data and partition you were installing ubuntu to.(there are a range of tutorials for BootIt NG in the support section of their site(google it)
- I believe Ubuntu is also a liveOS (it can run off of the disk). If you can manage to get it running then you can use that to restore a bootloader(yet again google the process)
- Or you could use the afforementionned BootItN NG to wipe both the ubuntu and vista partition and then install vista from scratch (like you were going to)

Cheers,
Jamey

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't think you've completely screwed up your Vista installation. As Jamiemac said, the problem is probably the bootloader. Not long ago, I caused the same situation trying to install Arch, but the dual-boot was with XP. The problem was fixed by running the recovery console and the fixmbr command. I don't use Vista, but found this (post #2 pretty much explains what to do), which might save you a few dollars and should only take a few minutes. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.