Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I accidentally installed the Vista ultimate business 32-bit on my dell optiplex 170l. I assumed my computer was too old to have the 64-bit. I have not been able to really find any info on if the 64-bit is compatible, but I think it is. Can I use the 64-bit disc to reinstall the vista ultimate over the 32-bit? I am having problems with screen resolution and dell has no updated drivers and i think the 32-bit is the cause to my problem. Please help!

·
Premium Member
19,892 Posts
you have to do a clean install. Before you install the 64, you need to make sure dell has drivers for that version first.

·
Premium Member
19,892 Posts
So I can use the same serial number as the 32-bit disc, it came with both disc and I thought it was a two disc install and it wasn't. Me being dumb...
Yep, use the same number. Ultimate is the only version that comes with both 32bit and 64 bit vista. Make sure 32 bit is gone before trying to install 64 bit, other wise, you will have problems. You cannot have both installed at the same time.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am having problems finding anything on the dell download center concerning vista and the dell optiplex 170l drivers and downloads. There dropdown menu on y has xp. Do you know anywhere else I can get them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well as of now there are dell drivers on the computer. My real issue is the resolution of the monitor, that is the only problem I am having with the 32 bit....after reading about the 64 bit, doesn't look like it would be ideal for me to use - since the software I use will not work with it. I really just need a driver update for the dell monitor E772p. Does that even exist or do i have to buy a new monitor?

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Please run msinfo32 - save as NFO file
START | msinfo32 | save the file w/ default NFO file extension

Zip it up, attach to your next post, then send me a PM.

jcgriff2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.