Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought my brand new laptop and have loaded Vista Ultimate 32bit onto it for about 5 days. I noticed something unusual about Vista's CPU usage while idle in the task manager as well as the Resource monitor.

I have attached four pictures to show my problem. Notice that my CPU usage is always at about 40-60% on both of my cores. However, the average CPU usage per process shows that it should actually occupy about 15% to at most 20% (by adding up all the CPU usage for the processes). What is really odd to me is that my system idle process + CPU usage does not equal 100%.

Although at 40-60% usage, I do not notice any major performance impacts, as both cores are not loaded to the max. However, I do notice Vista chewing up more battery than needed when I have my laptop running off batteries. Because the max frequency for the processor would always need to be raised to around 60% even when idle (instead of say... 10-20%).

I have searched online for various problems relating to high CPU usage, and most of the responses are about tracing down which process is the culprit. Well, this is where I'm stumped because it all does not add up! According to the process view, everything is normal but my system resources are still get constantly chewed up by something invisible it seems.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, here is my system specs... I thought I put it in my signature but it's not showing up?

PowerPro J 10:15 (Compal IFL90 laptop)
Intel® CoreT2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz Processor
2GB (1 SODIMM) DDR2/667 Memory
1GB Intel® Turbo Memory (Robson) - (Vista Only)
160GB SATA Hard Drive at 5,400 RPM
Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive
4-in-1 Memory Card Reader (MS/MSPRO/SD/MMC)
Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11a/g/n
Built-in Bluetooth Wireless 2.0+EDR
Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've seen the same problems running vista Home premium x64
I've disabled many services that I do not need, got my processes down below 10 with no further applications running and had my cpu reach above 50% also.

Straight after a reboot the CPU is back to normal, but occasionally peaks again. I have not found the culprit as yet, but it looks like a possible process failing to die properly, and perhaps even a memory leak.

Do you have any errors in the system logs to indicate a failed process?

·
Banned
468 Posts
Start Task Manager and arrange the colums of programs from highest CPU usage to lowest, and try to ID which process is using in inordinate amount of CPU. Post that here.

Frequently malware causes this. What is your anti-malware solution ?

·
Banned
3,394 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.