Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Running Vista as normal, until last night I started up the laptop, logged in, and then it froze, and nothing happened. This then kept happening. So I started up the laptop, constantly pressing F8 to get the the boot menu (I had read about this online). I then restored the laptop to a couple of days ago.

The laptop now works, however all the files I had, pictures, documents, everything I have ever made or done has vanished!

Please help, what can I do?

:sigh:

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
I know this doesn't help now but it should in the future. This is a classic example of why you need to have a backup of all important data. Data can be lost due to hard drive failure, malware, accidental or malicious file deletion, etc. It isn't a matter of if something like this will happen but when.

Some people keep 3 or more backup copies of important data and in different locations. Having no backups at all is asking for trouble.

There are utilities that will likely restore at least some of your data. Others can advise. But it is critical not to use the computer until you know how to proceed. Any files written to disk in the meantime will make data restoration more difficult or impossible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.