Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently running: Athlon 5200+, 2gs 800mhz ram, with 2 Nvidia 8600 gts cards in SLI

Im not quite sure if my cards are working in sync. In device manager its saying that my second card does not have enough resources and that I need to remove a device for it to work. All my equipment is SLI and vista compatible (or so they say). Im currently installing the new drivers but i just wanted some input on what needing more resources means. I should have enough resources when it comes to memory hard drive space ect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What power supply do you have? I've seen several products advertise as "SLI ready", but that doesn't mean they're going to work accordingly with any SLI setup you throw at it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That very well could be the problem right there, depending on what kind you have. Are they the 256, 320, or 512mb versions?

Unless they're one of the lower end or older models, chances are each is requiring a PCI-E 6 pin connector, yes? If that's the case, you're probably going to want to get at least a 700w PSU to be on the safe side. 650 possibly, but when taking the GeForce 8 series SLI, you don't want to press the limits of your PSU if you can help it.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I believe its a generic psu with only 22A on the 12V rail, kind of low for a 575W psu imho, for comparison my PCP&C 510W psu has 34A on the 12V rail and I would no way consider it as "SLI ready" or capable of SLI in general. However, check the bios, I belive that some mobo's need to enable SLI in the bios to properly allocate resources....your mobo manual should offer that info in better detail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I disabled my dvd-rom to see if it would free up enough power and it still doesnt work. I have 2 options. Which is better in your opinions? Im upgrading my brothers comp and building my dad 1. I could use my 2 8600 gts factory overclocked gpu's on theirs and buy myself a 512mb 8800 gt or I could just spend money on a new psu. Whats your opinion? Ultimately I'm asking if 2 sli 8600 gts' are better than an 8800gt. Oh and my Mother board only has 1 16x pci E slot and 1 8x (lame I know).

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I would go for a psu upgrade and a single 8800GT,a single 8800gt will out perform 2 8600 in sli ! Please read our psu guide linked below, in the article you'll find a lot of info on how to select the appropriate psu and a psu calculator to determine the proper wattage, along with some reccomended psu's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.