Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

Two days ago my vista was infected with the "Vista Security 2011" virus. It kept on directing me to the scam page for buying their "product". Since i couldn't access the internet at home, i used a friend's computer/internet and found out that it is a virus. Upon reading up on how to remove these files, i stupidly just followed instructions that i saw. I first ran my internet security/anti-virus program by Panda. It didn't detect anything though, so i tried to manually remove the virus by editing the registry through the "regedit" command. I removed some things according to what i read, but i think i messed up horribly because now i cannot access any .exe programs.....so that's basically 99% of things on my computer including malwarebytes, hijackthis, etc. I downloaded those programs upon reading further instructions, but i cannot even install/run them because of this message:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel"

I read around yet again thinking ignorantly still that i could fix it myself...and read that I just needed to edit the registry again... but of course i can't even access it now through "cmd" or "regedit"... And although the "Vista security 2011" popups don't appear anymore after putting in the "manual activation code" i found in the instructions online, I’m sure it still exists in my computer... but again Panda security scans aren't picking it up...and I can't download/execute any other anti-virus spyware scans because i can't open .exe files....I can open internet now though through clicking on the links in "my favorites" folder but not directly through the internet explorer icon. Same goes for any document files such as Microsoft office word, it can only open through existing files; not through the desktop icon.

I really am at a loss now… and I know I should’ve asked sooner. I would really appreciate it if some can please help me.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hello, Welcome to TSF.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

You will find a good removal tutorial on how to remove this infection here: Remove Vista Antimalware 2011 and Win 7 Antispyware 2011 name changing rogue (Uninstall Guide)

Please execute the instructions listed under this section:
Automated Removal Instructions for XP Internet Security, Vista Antimalware 2011, and Win 7 Antispyware 2011 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

When completed please post the Malwarebytes' log and include the results of this scan.

Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post.

Let me know what problem persists.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.