Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me how to get my C drive space back? I'm 100gigs short, I've been installing major programs, 30giggers and lots of them, for a few months now.

My hard drive is shrinking.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
If you are sure that your computer is in good shape you can delete all but the current restore points by:
goto start|accessories|system tools|disk cleanuo|more options|system restore and select clean up.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
The remaining restore point won't reinfect the system UNLESS you use it.
But, in the event that you need a restore point, an infected restore point is better than no restore point at all.

Once you are sure that the system is functioning well, then make another restore point - and delete the rest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I followed your steps and clicked clean up, nothing happened? Nothing loaded.

start|accessories|system tools|disk cleanuo|more options|system restore and select clean up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
im lost when it comes to

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=4GB

But, by just delecting restore points, I have gained 100 gigs. I still feel I should have 20 or 30 more tho.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
When you say that nothing happened and I know that this is an odd question, but could you be more specific?
When you clicked it did you see it scanning?
Im a little confused in that your 4th post seems to indicate that you got it to work.

Here is a link that you may find helpful
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Start-Disk-Cleanup
This one has a video with it and shows a slightly different technique
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

My computer is only set up with one user, but from what I see in the video and if you have more than one user you may need to select all users to get the more options tab.

In Jenae's link she is showing you how to limit the size that the restore points can use on your HDD.
Depending on the size of your HDD Windows may allow them to reach 45Gigs or so.
By doing what she suggests you will be limiting it to 4G, Which is an adequete amount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.