Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my PC suddenly started completely freezing within a minute or so after logging in. It happens consistently every time, and now doesnt even give me enough time to do anything on the desktop before it locks up.

it will start ok in safe mode and everything works as safe mode allows. the problem occured for no obvious reason - i had not made any changes or installed anything new to the system.

ordinarily i would just back up the disc and format it but since i last reinstalled windows my computer claims not to have the drivers for the USB ports so i cant use my external drive.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,533 Posts
Hi have you tried system restore to before the problem began,have you tried uninstalling the usb from device manager and rebooting to see if windows reinstalls usb functions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that ive got it back to a useable state using the restore point. prior to the problem the computer was riddled with viruses and is pretty slow so im looking to reinstall windows.

having a bit of trouble doing this, have put the reinstall disc in while logged in - says that it cannot install because the current version of windows is more up to date than the version on the disc, fair enough.

tried restarting the computer and booting off the disc, it shows a bar and says loading files, completes, and then leaves me on a blank windows screen.

i will try leaving it but at this point the disc light turns off and the computer seems completely inactive. any suggestions if leaving it doesnt work??

cheers

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.