Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

When booting up, Vista does not come up with the usual window that displays username and password box but comes up with a larger box with description "other user". There is only one user on this laptop. When you click on the box a window opens with "username and password". No matter what name o r password (or even administrator with or without password) you get the message " The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted". I have tried to do boot in Safe Mode (using F8), but no matter what option you choose from that menu (I have chosen all of them) it just boots up and gives that box "other user" in the middle of the screen.

I tried using TRK (Trinity Rescue Kit) to remove the password but without any success. I don't think it is a password issue. Since this "other user" box suddenly has appeared and was never there before I am suspecting it is due to virus.

This is my niece's laptop. She hasn't backed up the files at all so I am hesistant to reinstall the system at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bwaanaa,

The reason you are getting 'Other User' is because your computer is set to be part of a domain. To change this, log into windows with your normal account, press the Windows key + R (which will bring up a Run box), type: sysdm.cpl and press enter, then under the "Computer Name" tab, where it says "To rename this computer or to join a domain or workgroup", click the Change button, then put a check in the Workgroup box, and type a name such as: WORKGROUP and then press OK and then restart your computer.

If that solves it, great. If not, let us know.

If this was caused by a virus, thats another issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Grayfox99:
Thank you for the quick reponse. The problem is on loading,windows does not give me a chance to log inno windows with my normal account. As I mentioned as soon as it boots it displays a box with a message "other user". If I click on it then it displays the box with user name and password, which of course it doesn't accept. So I couldnt open up a Run box (using Windows key + Run)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're welcome. I understand. When you get the message "other user", press Ctrl+Alt+Delete a couple of times (at least 2-3). Hopefully this will bring up another box which will let you manually enter in a username and password. Enter in your username and log in. If this doesn't work, boot into safe mode. To do this, restart the computer and keep pressing the F8 key during boot up (before the windows loading animation comes up) and then select "Safe Mode". If you can login through safe mode to your normal account, great! Or you can use the "Administrator" account which should show up once you boot in safe mode, and follow the above instructions, to take yourself off the domain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Control+Alt+Del doesn't do anything. Tried more than a dozen times. Tried when I got "other User" box and also after clicking this box and getting to enter password screen, but no luck.

I did try Safe Mode but it brings up the same thing. In fact after hitting F8, I tried all the options that come up, such as Safe Mode, Safe Mode with command prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore Mode and all the others. Trouble is it just goes in the same routine and gives the "other user" box. The normal Safe Mode screen does not start.

If this doesn't work I'll try to backup the drive to my external drive and then reinstall the Vista. The only problem is I don't have enough space on my external drive. So I want to backup the data only but most of the free programs don't allow that. Also I have XP sdo I am not sure I will be able to verify the integrity of the backup. Well, I have no choice. I hope you have other ideas.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see.. Before you backup and reinstall I have 2 more suggestions:

1. Enable the 'Administrator' account using TRK and login to it:
(see here: http://forums.trinityhome.org/viewtopic.php?t=665)

2. At the F8 screen, select 'Repair your computer'. Then cancel the 'Startup repair is checking your computer for problems..' process, at the bottom left select 'Advanced recovery options', choose System Restore, and restore your computer to a point before this started happening.

Good luck, and you're welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem and I have tried the system restore and there are no restore points. I think this is being caused by a virus or malware that has made a change in the registry but I don't know what to change to over ride it. Repair does not work. I can however login to the safe mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try that. At the moment I am doing the backup. I already did it once but it stopped with error. I could'nt check the files as They are in NTFS (Vista) and my XP is FAT32. Once this backup completes I'll have to find a way to read those files before do reinstall. But I wiil definitely try your suggestion. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.