Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I am trying to get some help making the login screen behave itself on Windows Vista. I don't know what they were smoking, drinking, and/or snorting when they designed this garbage, but here goes:

By default on Vista Buisness, if you are a member of a domain, the login screen shows ONLY the last-logged-in user. If you click "Switch User" you get that same user and an "Other User" option where you can type in a complete username and password. If you need to log in to a local account for whatever reason(and there are many), you have to jump through a whole lot of annoying hoops.

The behavior I would sincerely like to see is something more like what you get on a non-domain workstation, wherein the login screen defaults to showing a list of users, specifically a local account and a few of the last-logged-in users, maybe 5, or all of them would also be just fine. Anything but the current behavior.

Or, alternatively, if anyone has found a way to just make it look and act exactly like the old-style XP domain login, I'd be happy with that, too.

Things I've already tried:

Changing the security policy "Interactive Logon: Do not display last user name." - all this does is make it so you have to type in a username and password no matter what.

Typing ".\" instead of whatever else, again, doesn't help, doesn't solve my problem. I either need a simple button or drop-down menu or nothing at all.

EDIT: Have also found about a zillion things telling me how to change the wallpaper - also not what I am looking for.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.