Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I currently have a laptop that is about 2 years old. It is a Sony Vaio vgn-fz140e model. It has never given me problems till recently, I turned it on and it would not go past the Microsoft Corporations loading screen bar. I am not the greatest with computers, but I know the basics. So the first time I was able to access safe mode, and save data and re-install my OS (vista home addition). About a week later, it happend again, it gradually loads slower and slower at start up then BAM, one day i'll turn it on and it will be stuck at the loading screen. I even tried running it in safe mode and nothing works. It wont load it up. I have not downloaded anything on the computer except for anti virus software (nod 32) and AIM/MSN. This issue has occured many times to where I was forced to connect the laptops hard drive to another computer to reformat. It has happened about 3 times already, and it is currently happening now. I have been frustrated and looked over many forums with the same issues, although I have not found a real solution. If it requires me getting a new hard drive, I will do it. Only concern is whether it is the hard drive or motherboard (I really dont know). And i forget but it is a 4200 RPM hard drive, if I did purchase another one, would I be okay to purchase a 5400 RPM hard drive? Thank you all very much for help in advanced. Sorry if i left out a lot, as I am not to familiar with explaining BIOS specs and so forth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, thank you all for replying. I will try the hard drive diagnose utility, also can i start the disc with booting it at start up or do i have to have vista loaded completely at startup? And I havn't taken out the battery as I am a bit concerned on how to do that on a laptop. Not sure if i should risk opening the case and messing something up, but I have taken a CMOS battery out of a desktop computer, i just dont trust myself on a laptop. Though with a bit of instructions on where to begin i'd get it a try :D. Alright thank you all again for the help you all have given me! =)

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
you will need to look at your manual for a cmos reset as it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer with laptops

you boot the computer from the diagnostic disk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.