Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed windows vista on my system since it came with a free upgrade to Windows 7. I have all the updates for both vista and my video card but everytime I run COD4 it hard locks up and sometimes completely shuts off my computer. When I was running windows XP I didnt have this problem what so ever. My video card usually runs at around 40-45C which isnt hot and my processor stays around 30C-40C. I am pretty good at troubleshooting most problems but I cant seem to figure this one out......I know that Vista uses alot more resources so maybe 2GB of ram isnt enough....and ive looked over my video card and there isnt any kind of dust bunnies or nothing, even when I took off the top part and looked for built up dust. If anyone may have any ideas on whats going on I would really appreciate it. when I run Left 4 Dead, Counter-Strike, ANY other GAME but COD4 it runs fine...im just confused on what the deal is..........

Specs: Athlon 64 X2 5200 2.6ghz Dual Core
G.Skill DDR 800Mhz 2 GB
XFX Geforce 9800GTX 512mb
550 Watt Ultra Power Supply

·
Team Manager, Gaming
7,315 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF
download SIW from my sig and open it
choose "Sensors" under Hardware
and check the PC temperatures
play the game for about 15 mins or before the PC shuts down or freezes, minimize it and recheck the temps again
please post both temps states here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesnt even last 15 mins...lasts around 5 mins then totally shutsdown :( ...or hard locks....I did get my temp after about 2 mins and it was 46-51C with Video card....CPU 35-41C and my memory Usage was at 93%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
u said your memory usage goes at 93 % that means a lot of processes already going on in your operating system that makes it heavy ... try to close all the unnecessary processes going on in task manager ... this is also because of the less memory of your video card as vista is a heavy graphical interface . it requires at least 512 mb RAM and 128 mb of the video card...... if you get the same problem ... i would refer you to use windows 7 as its much lighter than vista .........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually just upgraded lastnight to Windows 7 and am still having the continued hardlocks....I ordered another 2gb of ram...but im still wondering if it might either be my Video card or something.....

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Hi there.

I'm sorry to say this but your PSU is rubbish and not good enough to power the 9800GTX. You need at least a good quality 650 Watt for it.

Here's the one I recommend.

The PSU is one of the most important parts of your computer. Cheaping out on it is never a good idea. You should read through the entirety of this thread. It contains vital information about PSU's and why you should never use low quality ones

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.