Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed this behavior when using Firefox, Chrome, uTorrent, vlc, etc.

Basically, if i run any application long enough (like an hour), it hangs. Even when i close the application, it remains in memory and cannot be killed by task manager. The only solution then is to reboot the machine. My vista version is legit (came with the laptop) and is patched with all latest updates.

I have following questions:

1. Can the Zonealarm firewall be responsible for this? In that case, please suggest an alternate firewall to install that does not have this kinda problem.

2. I think if the residual process in memory was somehow killed, than it would cut down on the number of reboots. Any suggestions on any software that can do this?

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Hi -

ZoneAlarm is a firewall program so I doubt it would be affecting ALL your programs, but if you feel strongly about it, refer to this.

CProcess will let you edit, kill, add, etc ALL running processes plus more. It's very useful, no install required.

Have a GRRRREAT day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
lol...this is funny...ZA won't let me access the CProcess website since it is in its list of spy-sites!!:eek:

Anyway, allowed norsoft.net and downloaded it, but it turned out to the same as all other process killers...it could not kill the process from memory :sigh:

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Hi -

Get rid of ZONE ALARM immediately. It is one of the worst products ever. Search thru this Vista forum & you will find more BSODs caused by Zone Alarm than you can count.

Be cautious as to what you "kill". But if you must, you can use Task Manager, or my favorite - Microsoft SysInternals Process Explorer. Download & save the procexp.exe file to desktop. Right-click on it & select "Run as administrator".

Live SysInternals Process Explorer - http://live.sysinternals.com/procexp.exe

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.