Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - just wanted to start by giving you all a big thumbs up for this forum and its contents.

I have a problem with a friends machine - Vista Home.

When I boot up there is an error screen which says that;

Windows failed to start and that I need to insert my insallation disk and restart the comp.....then hit the repair etc. If you do not have the disk contact admin or manufacturer.

File: \Boot\BCD

info: The windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry.

I have tried all the ususal tricks, i.e. repair disk, install disk etc but each time the same scren appears - It seems that I cannot do anytihng to get into the machine.

can anyone help???

much appreciated and many thanx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for getting back so soon.

I've tried that and it still takes me back to the same error screen. The only key options that I have are the F2 (setup) and F12 (multi boot) - this one allows me to access other repair options but these don't wrk either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've managed to get to the command prompt via windows anytime upgrade disc. these are the results of bcdedit

Windows Boot Loader

Identifier <977cff98-e15d-11de-953e-e78a07eac926
device partition =F:
path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
description Windows TM Code "Longhorn" Preinstallation Environment < Recoverd>

osdevice partition = F:
systemroot \windows
detecthal yes
winpe yes

Wiindows memory Tester

identifier <memdiag>
device partition = c:
description Windows Memory Diagnostic

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
I havent forgot about you.
Sorry it took me this long to get back to you, I had to repair the car yesterdya.

I think MS is having some trouble today because I cant seem to get a respone when looking stuff up.
Im trying to get to this article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391
Concerning rebuilding the BCD store.
Give it a try and see what it says and Ill do the same as soon as they let me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Pat,

I've tried the suggested methods in the article, but they are not working. During the process I'm am getting other DOS errors, so the process is not completing in the way it should do.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
Which one(s) did you try and what errors did you get?

From the dos prompt will it let you run chkdsk?
If it does run it again with the /f or /r switch
I cant remember offhand which is available in the repair console but they are basically the same.
type chkdsk /? and it will show you the options.

Below is another link for startup repair using the install disk.
I read that it may wipe the restore points though so if you are sure that they cant be of any use you could try it.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions#ESG

The trouble that Im looking at is the fact that you have a anytime upgrade disk.
I know that full installs can be done with a normal upgrade disk but I am not familier enough with the anytime versions and how some commands like SFC would react.

Often times I would recommend using the install disk and let it do a reapir install thus keeping your programs intact.

Do you know offhand if this machine had any recent updates to it that may have started this problem?

EDIT: Here is one more link that basically cover what you already know.
http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-in.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Incidentally, when running the BCDEdit ....... and bcd bootrec /bcdrebuild the system says that the operation was completed sucessfully, but then goes on to says that 0 instances of windows installtions were found. Is this because the system is trying to boot from the wrong location??

Also this is what the system contains in terms of drives:

C: Acer
D: Data
F: PQservice
X: Boot
E: CD Drive
G: Removable Disk

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Visiting Expert | Microsoft Sup
4,026 Posts
Have you tried running Startup Repair? Boot from the installation CD, and click Repair your computer from the Install screen. It will search for Windows partitions; if it finds one then select it, if not then click Next without selecting anything. At the top of the screen should be Startup Repair. Run it and follow the on-screen instructions. Let us know how it works.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanx - tried that also, but the response I get is that repair was unable to fix the problems - restart. I think htat I'm going to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate, by creating a new partition from the install disk - and have a dual boot - This should work right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes it is - so I've been trying to alter the recovery process according to the article with using settings, but I'm still not getting anywhere - I'm might be making errors tho!

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
I've managed to get to the command prompt via windows anytime upgrade disc. these are the results of bcdedit

Windows Boot Loader

Identifier <977cff98-e15d-11de-953e-e78a07eac926
device partition =F:
path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
description Windows TM Code "Longhorn" Preinstallation Environment < Recoverd>

osdevice partition = F:
systemroot \windows
detecthal yes
winpe yes

Wiindows memory Tester

identifier <memdiag>
device partition = c:
description Windows Memory Diagnostic

IM sorry, I was just rereading this post and think I missed something basic.

What is F: PQservice?
Your boot is pointing to it and neither x: or c: as it should be.
If this is what it is
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_pqservice

Above you mention that you are adapting to the instruction.
Which partition are you inserting?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I am having the same issue. After running chkdsk c: /f it repairs some errors but I am still stuck.
I can't access c: drive when I try "dir c:" ntothing happens.
I am only booting on a winRE CD

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Pat,

I've tried C: and F:, although F: is where the boot loader from BCDEdit is pointing to. I'm going to give a few more tries and if it still fails, I think I'm going to have to resort to installing an upgrade, after having created a new partition on c: Hopefully this will give me the chance to get back into the system proper so that I can see exactly what is going on. what a hassle!!

In the meantime thanx for your help!

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
That is the odd part.
It shouldnt be pointing to F:
That is a recovery partition.
Im not sure why it keeps trying to go there.
Your boot loader was on X:
We may be able to force it to C:

I was hoping that we wouldnt need to try this but we may have to.
Dont worry aboyt this just yet.
I want to see if I can get someone else in here to see if they can help us a bit more.
I Think we will only get one chance at this and if it goes wrong a reinstall will be the only option, so Im not in a big hurry to get this wrong for you.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721886(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_default

How to create a new Windows Vista operating system entry

To create a new Windows Vista operating system entry, use the following procedure:
To create a new Windows Vista operating system entry

First, copy the operating system entry you want to replicate and name it NewEntryDescription.

bcdedit /copy {GuidToCopy} /d “NewEntryDescription”
This command will split the new GUID. Use the new GUID to modify the partition information by specifying:

bcdedit /set {NewGuid} device partition=x:

bcdedit /set {NewGuid} osdevice partition=x:

Add the new operating system entry created to the display by specifying:

bcdedit /displayorder {NewGuid} /addlast

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.