Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok i have been downloading rapidshare links with flashget for years, then about 2 weeks ago My Acer Laptop Aspire 4520 (vista home basic) started to crash..Now whenever i use flashget to download (i have premium account) paste all urls and press start then it downloads fine for maybe 10 mins then my vista just freezes and crashes and restarts....i have tried this on flashget 1.73 and latest version all the same....so i then tried internet download manager 5.14 same thing happens, finally i tried orbit downloader and it happens with that too......wht the heck is hapened please help..i am using an acer aspire 4520 laptop with windows vista home basic...i could always download great until 2 weeks ago..no i can only get 10 - 15 mins tops and crash....my downloads i pay for every month have just been wasted this month...i have run every virus, spy ware scanner there is including, kaspersky, spy bot and avg & adware no infections!!!! i am at a loss please help??? I Have tried using your uninstaller and removed flashget and IDM and reinstalled but same issue...:4-dontkno
ps vista and internet is fine only when i try and download.

i hope you can help, many thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acer Aspire 4520 , AMD Turion 64
1GB Ram, 80GB Hard drive, NVIDIA Geforce 7000m/nforce 610m
external usb 250 GB Hard drive

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Vista crashes everytime i try and download files with any download manager

Any ideas anyone please, my mkonthly downloads i pay for are being wasted please help i am at a loss.......:4-dontkno:4-dontkno

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Vista crashes everytime i try and download files with any download manager

Any ideas anyone please, my mkonthly downloads i pay for are being wasted please help i am at a loss.......:4-dontkno:4-dontkno
Have you reload the operating system and check.....if not please reinstall the operating system and check it out....and tell....! Hope this will help you out...! take care bye

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not having all the information required, I'm just guessing here, but it may be a power supply failure. (just guessing)
Shut down ALL running programs on your little PC before starting the download.

I too use the same source for software and have NO problems with the download, but I'm on a desktop PC with a LARGE power supply.
And.....I use NO download manager, just Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1 with minimal add-on's.

If you're NOT using Firefox....maybe you should be. It has a great download manager built in.
I spent three hours downloading some stuff last week and had no problems at all.

You may have picked up some TSR lately when you upgraded a program like Adobe Reader, Java, etc. You always have to check your startup folder in MSCONFIG after updating any of those programs and DE-Select their updaters, schedulers, and monitors.
All that junk running in the background can really load down your CPU and ram.

Good Luck!
The Shadow :cool:

PS: Vista is such a resource hog because it has so many "Services" running in the background. I found while reading "Black Viper's" web site that I could shut down 24 services with no loss of functionality on my Vista Ultimate PC. That greatly improved performance.:smooch:

Then there are a few Registry Tweaks that I use that further increase performance.:1angel:

Finally I don't allow any program to load and run that is absolutely NOT necessary for windows to run properly. I currently have only two icons in my system tray, besides the windows icons for speaker, clock and online status. One is my AVG icon and the second is my UPS monitor icon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have firefox, but never used it for internet or downloads used IE7 as i did download literally hundreds of rapidshare files all the urls where stored in flashget to download slowly whilst i was at worked and this was always the case until well i suppose a month ago now. Don't think it is a power issue as my laptop is only 8 months old but i do seem to have a lot of crap in the background..looking at processes in task manager...in my system tray though, besides the windows icons for speaker, clock and online status i have avg, memturbo, spybot tea timer, thats about it but my 4 usb ports are all in use, 2 external hard drives, mouse and internet. i have tried downloading with just 1 hard drive plugged in...still crashes....but until a month ago this wasnt an issue as my laptop is always plugged into the mains. i could download fine with same icons in system tray.and all ports in use...so you mentioned TSR after googling i found out what that was, should i try a tsr remover and what processes could shut down u mentioned 24 services with no loss of functionality on my Vista?? any other issues would be great as i have no back up disks with my acer just the partion backup that it came with and a system factory settings is a last resort...any new ideas would be a great help please????????thanks for replies so far

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi monkeenuts2000, I have had the same problem for the past two weeks. Seems like Flashget is not the only torrent software which conflicts with *something else* resulting the Vista freeze. My system doesn't restart, it just freezes ... I haven't had the patience to wait and see what happens, but probably the end result would have been the same as yours.
Anyway, here's what I've done to (hopefully) mitigate the problem:
Press Winkey + R in order to get the Run dialog. Type msconfig. Go to the Services tab and check "Hide all Microsoft services". Now sort the services by Status (click on the Status column header ) - you will now see the running services first. I was very surprised to find a lot of useless services (some from previously uninstalled programs - e.g. Norton Ghost) that were running. Uncheck all the services you don't need (for instance: everything from Nero, Adobe, Macrovision, Symantec,etc.). Do not uncheck the services for the display drivers (e.g. Nvidia Control Panel service) or other services you know are important.
Now go to the Startup tab, expand the Command column in order to see the path for every startup item and start cleaning up :) . Again, do not uncheck anything which begins with "Microsoft Windows" in the "Startup Item" column, uncheck things like Nero Backitup, btdna (bittorrent dna - which might be a possible conflict to flashget), PowerDVD service, etc. If you are unsure of an item, open Task Manager, locate the corresponding process, right-click it and then click "properties". It should have a "Details" tab in which you will hopefully find some useful information about the program. You can also click "Open file location" after right-clicking a process in Task Manager and see what other files are around it to realize what that process does. Finally, google for the process name and you will definitely find the complete description somewhere.

After disabling all the useless services and processes, reboot your system and have another try at Flashgot. At the time of this writing flashget is downloading something and the system is running just fine (I hope that the above is a viable solution but cannot be 100% sure). By the way, my flashget got to the point where it instantly froze my system when I opened it (thank God it wasn't in the startup process list :) ).

Hope this helps and have a nice day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No i am getting same problem i have disabled all useless services and start up cons but vista wil stll crash after say 5 - 15 mins of downloading files? Anybody got any other ideas please, i was really hopefully that the previous coments would work but alas:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, i have now started using firefox with flashgot plugin and when i download files using firefoxes own built in downloader no crash! i thought great, so i reinstalled flashget and orbit as i want to download a lot files it crashed again after 10 - 20 mins...wish i could use firefoxes built in downloader but when you want to down load hundreds of files it isnt really possible as you have start them manually and they cannot be restarted. Any ideas as to why i use download manager this crashes? please help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello again monkeenuts2000, I am really sorry that the problem is not solved for you (my system doesn't freeze anymore, fortunately, after disabling some of the services and processes). Try this as a last resort and tell me if you still get the crash (note: this resolution is something temporary in order to determine if one of the running processes or services is the cause of the conflict/crash):

1.Open msconfig and, in the "General" tab, use Selective Startup, then uncheck "Load Startup Items". Now reboot and try to download something.

2.If the crash still reproduces then open msconfig again and uncheck the "Load System services", too. Reboot and retry downloading.

3. If you still get the crash then uncheck "Process system.ini", "Process win.ini", reboot and retry.

Please tell me your results - we have to make this sucker behave ! :wink:

Regards,
nextAI.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi there, so i have tried the 1st option of cancelling startup items and crash still happens, so i unchecked services box and rebooted but then i cant connect to the internet anymore as doesnt see my modem. plus the 3rd options uncheck "Process system.ini", "Process win.ini", where is this? thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi , sorry about the system.ini and win.ini info, that's for Windows XP only. Try this:

Right-click on flashget shortcut or exe, properties, go to "Compatibility" tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select "Windows XP Service Pack 2".
Lower, in the Settings section, check "Disable visual themes" and "Disable desktop composition". Now try to run it and tell me if it still crashes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do i restore all my services and start up icons first or is this with no of them running again? i cannot run downloads with services turned off in msconfig as my modem isnt found..thanks i try in a minute thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, restore your services... but I advise you to disable the unneeded ones (as I told you in my first post). By the way, I downloaded the last microtorrent (v1.8) and started using it today .No freeze, no incompatibilty, no problems ... so I'd advise you to try the same. If microtorrent crashes your pc, too, you might consider using system restore and restore your PC to an earlier time (before the crashes started to occur). There might be a corrupt dll somewhere in your system or something wrong in the registry (although I doubt that a registry issue is the cause of this crash).
Tell me if you still have the crash and if you don't know how to use system restore.

Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi again, ok so i tried the flashget propierties changing to windows xp disabling themes etc... and again it crashes after 30 mins or so...damn thing. i cannot do a system restore as this started to happen about 6 weeks ago now my restore points are for only a few days ago...getting annoyed now as many files i want to download. When i use firefoxes built in downloader no crash weird, but using that is no good as i want to download a lot files overnight etc, built in is only manual. any more ideas please???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try repairing your windows vista installation from the setup disk . I think it only works if your disk came with sp1 included. If, when you boot using the setup disk, it tells you that your os is newer and not supported by setup, try uninstalling sp1 from control panel -> programs and features, then retry using the install disk. You should have an option to repair windows. Be careful though, if you choose install/clean install/reinstall that doesn't mean you get your system "repaired", you practically reinstall windows and thus have to reinstall all drivers and programs (the windows registry, among other things, is replaced)! So make sure you choose "repair my windows installation" or something similar.

After the repair, try downloading something (maybe reinstall flashget, too). If everything is fine then install vista sp1 again, test flashget, and create a system restore point afterwards.

Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i didnt get any recovery disks with my PC the only option i have is factory restore but if that doesnt work i havent got any disks to restore my system? any ideas? there is an option on acer emanagement to create back up disk but will this just copy files as it my system is now? if this is the case then it doenst help either. Doh!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi again. Don't use the Acer Recovery as it will restore your computer as it was when you received it (and that's true only if someone bothered to use the Acer suite to create a backup at that time).

If you don't have the vista CD then the only way is ... torrents :D

Google for "vista ultimate sp1 torrent" (or whatever version of Vista you have) and you will definitely find dozens of links to choose from. Use microtorrent so you don't get the crash. Then burn the iso image onto a DVD using Nero or something similar and that's it.. you can resume following my last post's directions. By the way, if you download the SP1 version then you don't have to worry about that incompatibility issue any more.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately that option wil take forever as the vista basic dvd 4gb with my downloads crashing ever 10 mins the rars files get corrupted! is their nothing else but a factory reset? it is definately there as i am missing 10gb on my main drive and have tried it up to where you confirm go ahead and cancelled, but this will take forever to update again plus reinstall my programs. everything is backed up though? there has got to be something interfering with this bloody system as my firefox built in downloader has started to crash no too! So anything anybody please i am paying a fortunate for downloads i can use!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.