Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having lag issues for a while in vista, and some third-party software I used told me that I had a bad process running (wininit.exe). Since it began telling me this, my computer has been slow to shut down, often requiring my to force it with the power button after some time. The only recent changes I've made were adding the 'dontdisplaylastusername' string in the registry, enabling the Aurora boot screen, and installing the expansion for F.E.A.R., which overwrote a few audio codecs.

Specs:
Dell Inspiron 1501
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60
512 MB RAM
160 GB HD
Windows Vista Home Basic (not updated for a while, sadly)
No mods

More info on demand.

Help Please!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the latest manifestation of this problem (right after I posted my frustrations) was that it crashed hard. When it booted back up, it took me to Windows Startup Recovery, after trying it's options I did a restore back to 8 hours before the crash. It's fixed, but I don't know if I plugged the damn with concrete or with jello.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Re: Vista Boot Problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search through Event Viewer and see what's happening at about the time of the shut-down hang, or any other problems. Report here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.