Memory: (2 sticks) Crucial DDR2 800 SDRAM, 2g each
(2 sticks) Crucial DDR2 800 SDRAM, 1g each
Video: ATI Radion 4800
HD: Western Digital Raptor WD1500HLFS 150GB SATA 3.0
Western Digital Caviar WD5000KSRTL 500GB SATA 3.0
Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS 1TB SATA 3.0
PSU: Antec 850-Watt

History:
System was assembled in Dec. 2007 running XP Premium, upgraded to Vista 32 in Oct. 2008, replaced video card in Aug. 2008 due to over heating issues, added 4GB Crucial sticks after memory fault error in Nov. 2008, replaced PSU in Sept. 2009, upgraded to Vista 64 Dec. 12, 2009, added Seagate Barracuda Dec. 15, 2009.

Issue:
After BIOS releases to the OS the "thinking" page appears for about two seconds then a quick unreadable blue page flash and the system reboots. When attempting to boot from the Vista install CD (looking for a repair option like XP has) the system stops on a blue screen with the Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area message. There is no dump listed on this screen and the system has to be hard booted. I can not get into the OS at all to run any test or do any system tests. Safe mode, restore to last known usable setup, and so on has no effect.

Repair Attempts and Issue History:
I first installed Vista 64 on the 12th, this past Saturday. The install went fine until about half way through the Windows update procedures. After one of the required reboots during the update I started have the exact same issue as listed above. I was installing software during the updates and thought this may have caused a conflict so I wiped the system drive with a copy of XP and started over. This time I only installed Vista and the video driver and let Vista do updates before proceeding with software and peripheral installation. The same issue occurred during this update procedure as before. I did some research and found a list of update to "not allow" during the 64 bit update and started once again. This time I turned off the automatic updates and manually handled each update, not installing the updates I had on the "not allow" list. The system worked fine. Sunday I began installing additional driver and software. I had one glitch with the Asus AI Gear being out of date, restored to before the install, found the correct version on the Asus site and everything worked fine. I spend all day sunday on the machine and about two hours playing Warcraft last night. The system has been restarted and shut down several times in the process. This morning I insert the new Seagate Barracuda HD, boot the machine and the issue has once again occurred, exactly as before. It's constantly rebooting once it hits the blue screen and the only way I have to read the page is by booting from the Vista install CD. I have since removed the new hard drive with no improvement. My research is saying that the error message is a driver issue, but I have not made any driver or software changes between the time it was last working and now. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was not able to sign into Windows at the time of my original post, but I've done some playing around since. I've removed the two single GB sticks of memory and am now booting normally. I assume that the error was actually a memory issue then. But this has brought in another issue. My boot time has jumped to over 10 minutes. I know Vista has some resource issues, but I'm still running a quad core system with 4GB of memory. Also, the reason I installed the 1TB HD is because of an issue with the 500GB HD having drop out issues. While transferring files from the old drive to the new one the copy time was exceeding 4 hours for a 20 MB folder. During this time, Explorer would freeze several times with the "Program Not Responding" message for 5 minutes or so and then clear up showing updated times on the progress meter.

Just to be on the cautious side I will go ahead and the get information you requested and also run the test. I'm especially interested to find out if I still have memory issues.

edit: The whole thing with the HD going bad is not in question here. I knew it was going out when I was still using the 32 bit. But the copy times are. The system as a whole seems to be running half the speed in 64 bit than in 32.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.