Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Norton IS informed me of a strange little program trying to access the internet. The program is called AFEE.EXE . I googled the name but found nothing. It was located in my C:/Windows/prefatch folder and the exact file name is AFEE.EXE-09F24945.pf . It is 28 kilobytes big and it attempted to access an IP on my network namely 192.168.0.53. I checked the registry for "AFEE" and got no results.

I can send the file in a ZIP format if anyone is interested at looking at it. What is this thing? I am confused :p

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
its trying to access a LAN address (thus the "192.168"). The things in the prefetch folder are quick references to programs that have run on your system. If you would like, visit this site and in the top right corner you can insert the path to the file (C:\windows\prefetch\AFEE.EXE-09F24945.pf) and scan it for viral signatures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link - no viral signatures found. I am still intrigued though. What is this file that appeared on my computer that is NOWHERE listed on the internet. What is this little program that attempted to access another machine on my LAN (And promptly put down :) )?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
the file with the .pf extension is created by the operating system and can store settings within the program or just keep record of it (or such is my understanding). They really arent needed, i have mine set to delete everytime i reboot.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Download the attached text file below and right click>> rename it to prefect.reg Now double click on the file and allow it to merge with the registry.

This will stop the prefetcher from storing files altogether. Now just navigate to that folder and delete its contents. And now your done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you - another question - how do I prevent the computer from putting anything in the prefatch folder? That is - prevent it from new files added during the operation of the machine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.