Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I waited until i needed a system recovery disc to make one - now my recovery disc has the very same virus on it that caused the need for a detrcutive recovery. Virut!

what do i do?

·
Registered
171 Posts
First, tell us the synptoms of the virus and what you did just before you got it. If you know the name that'd be helpful too.

As for the disk, use it as a coaster for your coffee in the morning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so long story short my 8 year old son was playing on some "free game sites" , and yes we have since discussed this. It was recommended that I preform a destructive system recovery - so I made my recovery disc ( which I have since found out - have the virus on them ). The virus is w32/Virut! ( or something very close. So after my recovery - which worked ( even with virus disc ). I ran several scans to remove virus/malware/ect. Then I tried to install sp3 so I could reinstall Norton. Half way through installation - sp3 had an error and rebooted. Now when I turn my puter on - after several seconds I get a blue screen and it reboots - over and over and over ...

The recovery disc no longer works - I just get about 1/2 way through the preparing partition screen and them the read error.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.