Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry i can't remember the exact details but im goin to re-look at a computer tomorrow and need to start gettin some kind of info about this problem...

When xp Home loads, after you type in the user pass and hit Enter, you immediately get an error saying somethin like "windows cannot load or find paging file..." blah and you have to close all TSR's to even do anything or it will lock up.

I went to the system/advanced/virtual memory and it's set at (recommended) 512 - (max) 768mb but toward the bottom it says

Minimum allowed: 2mb
Recommended: 512
Currently Allocated: 0mb

I showed all hidden and system files and i cannot find the pagefile.sys anywhere... btw, the user is the comp admin...

Any ideas?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

In the window below, choose custom and then for initial type your RAM installed value and for your maximum type whatever you will, maybe any value from 500MB-1GB above the initial. (you must have this space on your HDD). Then press set and ok.

Reboot and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, those are the values i posted, the HD is an 80gb with 74gb free

the PC has 256mb ram so the VM values are 512-768 but it says it can't find the pagefile therefore it shows "Currently Allocated: 0mb"

I've tried creating a pagefile.sys and leaving it in the C: and restarting hoping it would find it and use it.... Also, safe mode wont load b/c it halts at MUP.sys

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
adam.paris,

Go to your C:\ drive then Tools>Folder options>View and uncheck this surrounded box:

After that, click apply and exit. Now look in your C:\ drive directory and there should be a "pagefile.sys" showing there. What size does it read? To me it seems that you've disabled the pagefile or its been deleted/moved to a different location.

Also can you provide a screenshot of your VM configurations please whilst having set the initial to 250MB and the max to 1000MB after clicking "custom size". Make sure its on the C:\ drive and press set>OK>Apply>OK and then restart for this to take effect. See if thats better.

When you load up in Safe Mode, and it freezes at MUP.sys, remove the lead to your mouse connection from the computer and wait to see if it boots up then. If it does, you can reconnect it after loadup and place the XP CD inside the drive, goto Start>Run>type: sfc /scannow and hit enter. See if that changes anything on your next reboot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.