Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am becoming extremely annoyed with the Virtual CD that came loaded on this hard drive I bought. I would very much like to know if anyone has any hint as how to permanently remove it. It is in CDFS format.
I have already tried just about every formatting tool known to man. So something besides that. Disk management won't do it either. It would likely require firmware hacks or something of the sort.

The model # is PH23100U-1EXB

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suspect it's a "backup-ready" disk of some sort, yours probably mounting a drive at boot or something. Additionally it may be formatted with two partitions, one small (typically hidden) partition for their bundled software and one regular. The software usually makes various buttons on it work, these won't work if you do the following but you will have a clean hd:

First, to remove the build of a virtual drive, type "msconfig" in startmenu/run, when the dialog appears, choose startup and find whatever resembles what you don't want, untick it and reboot.

Then, if the HD has only ONE partition, open the drive root in an explorer window, choose folder options from the menu and select "show hidden files" and to be sure, uncheck "hide extensions for known filetypes", ok. Delete all files on the disk.

If the disk has TWO partitions and only one is showing in XP you could try PartitionTool, it's free and will find disks up to 2TB. If you still can't format the drive you need a low-level formatting tool, use a bootdisc like Ultimate Boot CD or Hiren's Boot CD, as drivers are needed to find the disk in DOS. Boot the disc, find partition tools and use Ranish, XFdisk or similar, be SURE to find the right hard disk number BEFORE you do anything (usually the highest number as it is external). There will probably be several listings like this, delete them all, make a new partition and format it as NTFS filesystem. On reboot you should have a clean HD...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's PH3100U-1EXB sorry, 2 was a typo. I'll try some more formatting tools, but I think that's probably not the way to go.
Thanks for the responses, I'll post back with any success.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey. Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same External HDD and it's got the useless Virtual CD attached to it as well. I had no problem deleting the "Toshiba tools" that screwed me over since I couldn't restore my files which were saved as a .RIM format. Now I just use the Windows Back up tool and it works just fine. But anyway, as for the virtual CD, I just tried going to My computer, right clicking on any drive, properties, and going on the hardware tab. I saw the virtual CD there and I click on properties of that. Then I had to click Change Settings on the General tab and it reopened the same window but this time I could alter the Driver's tab settings. So I went on the Drivers tab and clicked uninstall. It worked and my external HDD still worked. But, just to test it, I turned it off then turned it on, and it automatically installed the virtual CD again. Anyone know how to stop it from installing it when I turn it on again?

Also, in addition to this, sometimes the drive randomly decides to turn off. It hasn't happened during back ups but it still happens whenever it feels like it. I tried going in Device manager and looking under the USB stuff but I couldn't locate the HDD there. I can see it on the Disk Drives tab but I don't have a Power Management tab there. I wanna set my drive to be set for "Better Performance" on the "Policies" tab (instead of "Quick Removal" - which is what it's set to) in the properties menu but I fear that since it randomly turns off from time to time, it might mess it up. Does anyone know anything about any of this? Haha. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey. Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same External HDD and it's got the useless Virtual CD attached to it as well. I had no problem deleting the "Toshiba tools" that screwed me over since I couldn't restore my files which were saved as a .RIM format. Now I just use the Windows Back up tool and it works just fine. But anyway, as for the virtual CD, I just tried going to My computer, right clicking on any drive, properties, and going on the hardware tab. I saw the virtual CD there and I click on properties of that. Then I had to click Change Settings on the General tab and it reopened the same window but this time I could alter the Driver's tab settings. So I went on the Drivers tab and clicked uninstall. It worked and my external HDD still worked. But, just to test it, I turned it off then turned it on, and it automatically installed the virtual CD again. Anyone know how to stop it from installing it when I turn it on again?

Also, in addition to this, sometimes the drive randomly decides to turn off. It hasn't happened during back ups but it still happens whenever it feels like it. I tried going in Device manager and looking under the USB stuff but I couldn't locate the HDD there. I can see it on the Disk Drives tab but I don't have a Power Management tab there. I wanna set my drive to be set for "Better Performance" on the "Policies" tab (instead of "Quick Removal" - which is what it's set to) in the properties menu but I fear that since it randomly turns off from time to time, it might mess it up. Does anyone know anything about any of this? Haha. Thanks in advance.
There was a virtual cd removal tool released by Toshiba recently, however it seems to have been taken down from their webpage. I can verify it works, and I believe it'll fix your drive from turning off.
I went ahead and uploaded it to http://www.mediafire.com/file/domzt5mzmmk/toshiba_drive_converter_v107.exe
Keep in mind though that this did have a minor hiccup. While it removed the virtual cd and the drive works completely fine, it will report to you that the firmware did not install properly. I'm assuming that's the reason Toshiba took it off their website.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used the tool posted above to convert the drive and it worked to get rid of the virtual cd however the 150 meg partition is still there. I've tried a couple different partitioning tools to remove it but I cant seem to find one that will format the entire drive.

Aside from that it seems to have broken the eSata connectivity.

USB still works fine but if you plug it in with the esata cable the computer locks before you can get into the BIOS.

I have a second identical drive that I did not convert which works fine still so I'm pretty sure it has to do with the conversion tool but i'm wondering if there is a way to get that functionality back?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I actually just connected mine via eSATA just today when I went and bought the wire and an internal port that plugs into my SATA drives and gives me two female eSATAs. It didn't detect the External HDD when I first booted up, but then I restarted, and it got stuck at the Verifying DMI Pool Data stage. I held the power button, restarted, pressed F12 and went to the boot menu (I have Dual BIOS) and selected my internal HDD to boot up from. It booted up fine and as soon as it loaded up, it detected the External HDD and I backed up just fine. :)
Have you tried restarting?

EDIT: I just restarted again, and it still got stuck at the Verifying DMI Pool Data stage. I had to go to my BIOS menu, and set the my internal HDD as the priority drive to boot from. I already had it to boot primarily from HD but since I got the external one and I also got a flash drive plugged in, I had to reset my internal as the primary by moving it to the top of the list. Have you tried that, as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I used the tool posted above to convert the drive and it worked to get rid of the virtual cd however the 150 meg partition is still there. I've tried a couple different partitioning tools to remove it but I cant seem to find one that will format the entire drive.

Aside from that it seems to have broken the eSata connectivity.

USB still works fine but if you plug it in with the esata cable the computer locks before you can get into the BIOS.

I have a second identical drive that I did not convert which works fine still so I'm pretty sure it has to do with the conversion tool but i'm wondering if there is a way to get that functionality back?
What is the model # of your HDD? I have a collection of Toshiba virtual cd tools that may work if yours is older.

If you have the same model as us you can contact Toshiba, you probably just need the correct tool to flash your firmware if terrorist's suggestion doesn't work. Since it's a tool that Toshiba released they should be obligated to fix your problem.

It was extremely difficult for me to talk to anyone to get technical support, I just got sent around in circles until I gave up. There's also no way to get technical support for hard drives except by telephone. They won't accept e-mails. So good luck if that's what you gotta do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, the website that I was given for hard drive support was extremely useless. I sent three emails and after each one, it said they'd get back to me in like 1 business day. I waited like 3 weeks til I just called the regular support line and before they could even say anything, I was like, "I know this isn't the correct line for hard drive support but I've already gone that other route, so are you gonna help me or not?" In the end, their help still didn't suffice. By the way, my problem was that I couldn't recover the stuff I backed up using the Toshiba tools cuz I reinstalled Windows after backing up and the Toshiba tools are the most useless thing ever. Do NOT use them to back up your stuff. Use the Windows back up tools. I ended up losing everything I backed up since it backed up in a .RIM format and I couldn't restore it since I technically wasn't on the same computer... go figure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do NOT use them to back up your stuff. Use the Windows back up tools. I ended up losing everything I backed up since it backed up in a .RIM format and I couldn't restore it since I technically wasn't on the same computer... go figure.
Yes, they're quite terrible.
My main reason for removing the virtual cd was a matter of pride. I just wanted to beat it. Stupid thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
PH3100U-1EXB 1T drive

I'm going to try and mess around with it again to see if I can get it to recognize the drive with the eSata cable.

I also tried calling their support # on Friday and spent some time in the loop. It leaves you on hold for a while and then eventually kicks you to a voicemail where you can leave a message for someone to call you back.

I may try that again on monday if I cant get this working :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If you have somewhere to post them i'd be happy to give em a shot.

At this point I haven't made any progress with tech support or the drive itself.
Kay. Know that there's no guarantee that any of this software will work properly.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bgwuwq5xzbm Apparently this has worked for other Toshiba drives.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xjhmqztz0vj This is an older version of the drive converter software you tried. Maybe you have an older firmware and it'll work for you.

http://www.techsupportlive.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=9&pcid=8&nav=0,8 some different software to try. If you have access to a mac machine try out the mac version, I'd be interested to hear if that worked.

Those are all probably your best bet to try first. There's a few more that I'd have to dig for again, so just let me know if those work, and if not I'll get to diggin'. Good luck.

EDIT: I just noticed you're on Windows 7. Is it possible for you to try the drive converter I provided earlier (v1.07) using Windows XP? That was the OS I used when I ran it. I know it installs a driver to your system, it's possible 7 blocked it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've tried before but I can find no power management options. The external hard drive is known for shutting down whenever it feels like. The best option I saw was posted by DiznyOrdiz here: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=445143 in the customer reviews.

They say: "This hard drive is great as far as noise, but it shuts off after 5 minutes of idle. To fix this create and run this batch file. Run it each time you want to keep the hard drive active. To create the file, open notepad and save the file as keepalive.bat on your c: drive. (NOTE: enter [these] as specified information and remove the brackets) @echo off [Toshiba HDD drive letter]: :start mkdir DELETE choice /c yn /t 120 /d y /m "Keep this window open or your hard drive will go idle and turn off." rmdir DELETE cls goto start"

and that seems like too much effort to keep a hard drive on. I'd rather just turn it on manually whenever I need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good news to report in my case.

Yesterday I ran the older toshiba tool (Toshiba_Drive_Converter_V1.06.exe)

After running it and then doing a long complete format of the drive.....I have regained the ability to connect the drive via the eSata cable and in the process it also removed the CD partition and I was able to get the entire drive to format. Meaning when I check the properties of the drive I have no used data on the drive.

I havent had the power issue that you folks are talking about as long as its connected via eSata and I still have some testing to do with regards to the usb connectivity but overall i'm very pleased with the results right now.

Thank You!!!:grin: for the tool and i'll keep you all posted if I find out anything else interesting.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.