Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to this web site accidently while shopping for an anti-spy program and one click later I have this annoying pop-up that comes from the system tray saying "...click the icon to get rid of spyware...". But that only leads to a web site where they want money for blackmail. I can't get rid of the thing using ActiveScanPro or Norton Internet Security. I tried Microsoft malicious software removal tool also. When it pops up, it freezes the screen for a moment and I have to move the mouse again. I am running XP with service pack 2 and all the updates. I have spybot installed also. Can you help me please? I have attached a report here. Randy.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do a google search on "VLOB Virus" I just removed a very similar spyware with a removal tool I found online. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It sounds like something is rotten in Denmark for sure...

Please click, read and follow the 5 Steps to Remove Spyware link in my signature below. The 5 Steps will have you scan your system for malware as well as post a HijackThis log. When you post the HijackThis log, please post it in the HijackThis forum section. The TSF malware removal experts will be around to help you remove this infection.

BMR777

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings from CA,
I have good news-the nasty thing is gone. I am not sure what did it, though. While I was trying to generate a report for you guys I went ahead and ran all this software again (and again...) . The malware died slowly over a few days. I can say that first it lost the ability to actually connect to its website (though it kept popping up still) for a while. I ran activescan pro and spybot and norton and adaware again. Rebooted during all of this multiple times and now it is gone. I also ran a couple of the special programs you guys use on to diagnose other problems like combofix and catchme. Is it possible that during one of the updates of the anti-spy programs they caught it? Thanks for being here. I never knew until now how scary it is to catch virus or malware problem-and it is good to know that there are good guys out there fighting the good fight in case it happpens again. Thanks again. Randy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.