Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a file called "videorom.bin" in the root directory of my C: drive. Microsoft says that this is used to support multiple monitors. Because I don't have multiple monitors, I want to delete it. When I delete it and restart my computer, however, the file comes back. Could someone please give me easy-to-follow directions on how to delete it permanently?

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I've deleted all files in the root directory of C: except Io.sys, Msdos.sys, and Videorom.bin. Why have 3 files there when I just need 2? I don't like clutter. So does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this videorom.bin file?

Thanks

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I don't know whether or not to laugh.

So command.com and autoexec.bat already went the way of the dodo?

My opinion: it's a 64 kilobyte file that minds its own business. The only way to deal with it would be to screw your computer up even more than it already is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what you're saying is you don't know how to delete it permanently? Again, can someone please give me instructions on how to do this?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you using a video card with dual monitor support/output? If so, in the Device Manager, under Display Adaptors, if there are 2 adaptors listed, disable the "secondary" one. Then maybe, you can delete this file. If something like the above is not there, or does not work, then you'll have to track down the Windows component, be it a .dll, .drv, .exe or *.?, that is rebuilding the file on startup, and use a hex editor to edit out the entry that makes it so.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
faar444 said:
So what you're saying is you don't know how to delete it permanently? Again, can someone please give me instructions on how to do this?
Boot from floppy, FORMAT C:, problem solved.

S

·
0 Posts
Go to start, Run and type regedit then enter.

Click on edit, find and then type in videorom.bin and see if it finds it. Then you can continue searching and delete all entries out of the registry.

TSF and SPEEDO accept no responsibility for any screwups that may occur after messing about in the registry©

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
If removing it serves no purposes other than to make you feel better about the tidyness of your computer then why not just make it a hidden file and forget about it?

Messing around in the registry or editing drivers when you don't know what you're doing is bound to screw things up

S

·
0 Posts
I agree messing about in the registry can do unrepairable damage to your PC. So you should take johnwills second suggestion................:D

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You know, hanging around these forums gives me a new appreciation for the folks on tech support phone lines! :rolleyes: I suspect you have to have the patience of Job! :angel:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.